Sudden reboot during monthly scrub, unclean filesystem; any way to see the logs?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
raoulangel
New here

Re: Sudden reboot during monthly scrub, unclean filesystem; any way to see the logs?

Post by raoulangel »

Yeah, probably not possible now. The May update asked me to update the filesystem to a new one.. rolling back now to a firmware that doesn't support it is not likely a good idea...
phrunt
Starting out

Re: Sudden reboot during monthly scrub, unclean filesystem; any way to see the logs?

Post by phrunt »

Prior to rolling back I checked with QNAP and there was no update to the filesystem for a TS-431 with an ARMv7 processor even with the current latest firmware, the update was for other processors, check what processor you have but as far as I understand it all TS-431's are arm processors other than submodels like TS-341P and so on, if its a straight TS-431 you can roll back firmware no problems at all.

There is no point doing the ssh commands, they don't work
There is no point disabling raid scrub, I have units with no raid at all with the rebooting problem.

The only thing that's worked is the firmware rollback.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

raoulangel wrote:I came here because it seemed like you guys knew more then they do...
The topic is misleading (RAID scrubbing itself isn't the cause of the issue and disabling it make your RAID less reliable) and so far nothing but downgrading have been effective in stopping the reboots so no, nobody here know more than Qnap.
I cannot roll back the firmware since I upgraded the filesystem after the May firmware update.. or can I?
That's the question to ask Qnap.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
nightshadowuk
Starting out

Post by nightshadowuk »

raoulangel wrote:So, then there is no solution for this, after 5 months of daily hard reboots? Should I just forget about it and leave it alone? Will my files be OK? If not I have to be realistic and consider a change of hardware.. I cannot roll back the firmware since I upgraded the filesystem after the May firmware update.. or can I?
You can, a couple of us have rolled back our TS-431s from May versions of the firmware using QNAP's Qfinder Pro.

I'm running 4.3.4.0483(20180213) and phrunt is back on 4.3.3.0351(20171023) - no unexpected reboots since for either of us it seems.
QNAP TS-431 [RAID5 - 2 x ST4000VN000 & 2 x ST4000VN008]
phrunt
Starting out

Post by phrunt »

Still going strong here, no reboots. I'm almost ready to call it.

I just realised its 21 days since I rolled them back, it's called, the old firmware is perfectly fine, they screwed up in newer ones. I've flashed back 11 x TS-431's all to the 2017 firmware, not one of them has had a reboot problem since, they all had the problem prior to the firmware downgrade. Qnap need to get their act together and get this resolved.. They have a baseline firmware to work off prior to the issue.
nevermind2001
First post

Post by nevermind2001 »

My TS-231 also rebooted once a week but maybe there are good news: i wrote the qnap support, they send me a new (not released) firmware (4.3.4.0615) and told me, that this firmware solves this issue. my NAS is now running one week without any problems and i hope the problem is really solved!

so ... write the support and ask for the new firmware.
838Joel
Easy as a breeze

Post by 838Joel »

I'm having the same problem for a long time (months) and all started back then with a firmware upgrade on my TS-653A (my TVS-E 880 never had any problems).
Since then I'm troubleshooting with QNAP for this issue, and mid-June they give me a debug firmware which is not released. 4.3.4.0606 2018-06-03. As for now it's been running for over 14 days, and the scrubbing ran on the unit and now still running on the expansion bays.
So far so good, now I'm waiting for an official release to test which will address this issue for good!
So hopefully they will soon release a new version that will fix anyone issues about unexpected reboot...

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
damenchoy
Getting the hang of things

Post by damenchoy »

838Joel wrote:I'm having the same problem for a long time (months) and all started back then with a firmware upgrade on my TS-653A (my TVS-E 880 never had any problems).
Since then I'm troubleshooting with QNAP for this issue, and mid-June they give me a debug firmware which is not released. 4.3.4.0606 2018-06-03. As for now it's been running for over 14 days, and the scrubbing ran on the unit and now still running on the expansion bays.
So far so good, now I'm waiting for an official release to test which will address this issue for good!
So hopefully they will soon release a new version that will fix anyone issues about unexpected reboot...

I am facing the same issues. What model of QNAP you are using?
I just logged a support ticket with the QNAP support team. I hope they can send me the same firmware 4.3.4.0606 2018-06-03 to solve my issue.
Do you mind also sending me a download link for the firmware you receive so that I can do a manual update?

Thanks
838Joel
Easy as a breeze

Post by 838Joel »

As I mentionned in my post, my NAS model is TS-653A.

Be sure to have the same model TS-x53A to install this....

Also, the License center is disable in that debug build... I'm not requiring it, but if you do....

Here is the email from QNAP:
1. Download Firmware: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0n48ql6vupnq8 ... 6.img?dl=0
2. Unzip the File
3. If you don't have QFinder install. You can download QFinder from here and install it on your PC: https://us1.qnap.com/Storage/Utility/QN ... 0.0508.exe
4. Open Qfinder and make sure it finds your Nas
5. Click on Tools
6. Update Firmware
7. Log in
8. Browse to where you save the firmware .img
9. Click on Start and update the firmware
Just checked and the file still there!
damenchoy

Post by damenchoy »

838Joel wrote:As I mentionned in my post, my NAS model is TS-653A.

Also, the License center is disable in that debug build... I'm not requiring it, but if you do....

2. Unzip the File
3. If you don't have QFinder install. You can download QFinder from here and install it on your PC: https://us1.qnap.com/Storage/Utility/QN ... 0.0508.exe
5. Click on Tools
6. Update Firmware
7. Log in
Thanks... unfortunately my model does not belong to TS-X53A... Anyway, hope other users of TS-X53A will find this file useful...
damenchoy

Post by damenchoy »

To report back, I have got the support officer (from Hong Kong where I am based) to write me back for downloading a newer firmware for TS-X31 (TS-X31_20180612-4.3.4.0615).

I will give it a try and revert here for the results. It may take at least one week or even more to confirm if this firmware resolves the random reboot issues.
damenchoy

Post by damenchoy »

Just tried the newer firmware from QNAP. I can confirm that the License Center is disabled after applying the firmware.

So please take note of that if you are using License Center in your NAS before you apply the firmware from QNAP support to trying solve the random reboot issue.

Anyway, will need sometime to see if this build can really solve the random reboot issue
damenchoy

Post by damenchoy »

The support staff contacted me again with a new dpkg file for the License Center. After applying the newer update, the License Center is back to work!
damenchoy

Post by damenchoy »

838Joel wrote:As I mentionned in my post, my NAS model is TS-653A.

2. Unzip the File
5. Click on Tools
6. Update Firmware
7. Log in

Please note the disabled License Center should have a new dpkg file to solve the problem
838Joel
Easy as a breeze

Post by 838Joel »

Good news!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”