Unable to expand disk pool after disk replacements

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
U1Wouter
New here

Re: Unable to expand disk pool after disk replacements

Post by U1Wouter »

So basically i need to remove the drives one by one again during this process?
Or will a reboot of the device suffice? since the drives are already installed and this nas does not ahve hot swappable drives (TS-212)

1. Go to "Storage Manager" > "STORAGE" > "Storage Space".
2. Double click a storage pool to be expanded to bring up the Storage Pool Management page.
3. Select a RAID group and click "Manage" > "Replace Disks One by One".
4. Select at least one hard disk drive and click "Change". After the description displays "Please remove this drive", remove the hard disk drive from the NAS or expansion enclosure.
5. After the description displays "You can replace this drive", plug in the new hard disk drive to the drive slot.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all hard drives have been replaced.
7. Click "Expand Capacity" to continue. Click "Yes".
8. The chosen RAID group is expanded.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

U1Wouter wrote:If i select expand capacity at the moment we get the following error: [Mirror Disk Volume: Drive 2 1] Raid Size Expansion failed.
What disks, what NAS model, what QTS firmware version and build are in use?
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
U1Wouter
New here

Post by U1Wouter »

P3R wrote:
U1Wouter wrote:If i select expand capacity at the moment we get the following error: [Mirror Disk Volume: Drive 2 1] Raid Size Expansion failed.
What disks, what NAS model, what QTS firmware version and build are in use?
At the moment:
NAS Disks: 2x 4TB WD RED (WDC WD40EFRX-68N32N082.0)
NAS model: TS-212
QTS Firmware: 4.3.3.0570 build 20180528
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Just read the manual
http://docs.qnap.com/nas/4.3/cat1/en/in ... gement.htm

Operation procedure

In "Storage Manager" > "RAID Management", select the disk volume for expansion and click "Action" > "Expand Capacity".

Click "Change" for the first hard drive to be replaced. Follow the instructions to proceed.

1. When the description displays "Please remove this drive", remove the hard drive from the NAS. Wait for the NAS to beep twice after removing the hard drive.
2. When the description displays "Please insert the new drive", plug in the new hard drive to the drive slot.
3. After plugging in the hard drive, wait for the NAS to beep. The system will start rebuilding.
4. After rebuilding has completed, repeat the steps above to replace other hard drives.
5. After changing the hard drives and disk rebuilding has completed, click "Expand Capacity" to execute RAID capacity expansion.
6. Click "OK" to proceed.
7. The NAS beeps and starts to expand the capacity.
U1Wouter
New here

Post by U1Wouter »

So the answer is yes, you need to remove the drives for this to work propperly.

Thanks!
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

U1Wouter wrote:NAS model: TS-212
That's an old cat1 model so running a different QTS generation with different feature set than the cat2 model discussed in this thread.

As is stated in the documentation, Online RAID Capacity Expansion isn't officially supported in a TS-212:
Note: Online RAID capacity expansion, online RAID level migration, and RAID recovery are not supported by one-bay NAS models, the TS-210, and TS-212.

That said, some users long ago claimed that it was possible but I'm not sure if the exact procedure was ever clearly spelled out. If it was me I would search for those old threads discussing expansion of non-hot-swap models TS-210/212 and see if you can get some ideas there.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Fair enough, missed that line
U1Wouter
New here

Post by U1Wouter »

So i followed the procedure for the most part.
I selected change on the first drive, then rebooted the device.
It gave the following message: The file system is not clean. It is suggested that you go to [Storage Manager] to run "Check File System".

After checking the filesystem i was able to expand the raid by selecting "Expand Capacity"
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Cool. well all worked out then!
yinxiaoke
New here

Post by yinxiaoke »

select Manage --> Replace disk one by one --> Expand.
U1Wouter wrote: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:00 pm So what if someone did not read the manual/instructinos for expanding the raid capacity and just replaced the disks one by one for larger disks?
Is there any way to expand the Raid Volume once the disks are already installed in the NAS?
If i select expand capacity at the moment we get the following error: [Mirror Disk Volume: Drive 2 1] Raid Size Expansion failed.
TS-1279U-RP + REXP-1220U-RP
12x ST4000NM0033 RAID6
12x ST10000VN0004 RAID6
Firmware version 4.3.6.1333
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 16 GB memory

TVS-871
8x ST16000VN0001 RAID6
Firmware version 4.5.1.1495
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790S CPU @ 3.20GHz, 16 GB Memory
NASNOOB1111
New here

Post by NASNOOB1111 »

storageman wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:20 pm You followed this?

With this function, RAID group capacity can be expanded by replacing hard disk drives in an array one by one. This option is supported for the following RAID types: RAID 1, RAID 5, RAID 6 and RAID 10. Follow these steps to expand a RAID group:

1. Go to "Storage Manager" > "STORAGE" > "Storage Space".
2. Double click a storage pool to be expanded to bring up the Storage Pool Management page.
3. Select a RAID group and click "Manage" > "Replace Disks One by One".
4. Select at least one hard disk drive and click "Change". After the description displays "Please remove this drive", remove the hard disk drive from the NAS or expansion enclosure.
5. After the description displays "You can replace this drive", plug in the new hard disk drive to the drive slot.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all hard drives have been replaced.
7. Click "Expand Capacity" to continue. Click "Yes".
8. The chosen RAID group is expanded.

Right click on the Storage Pool tab and select Manage, then post the screenshot.
Ballpark guess, how long does step 7 take going from 2TB to 8TB? Seconds? Minutes? Hours? Days?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

between hours and days
brevell
First post

Post by brevell »

Hi, having the a similar issue when trying to expand pool after replacing disks with more capacity. Attached is a view of the setup (RAID, Storage Pool etc.). When I try to expand pool none of the options work? I can expand the volume within the Storage Pool but I cannot expand the existing Storage Pool nor create a new one.

I feel there is something obvious however I'm not able to do anything unfortunately. Any suggestions?
Screenshot 2019-08-24 at 18.31.49.png
// Using TS-251A on Firmware 4.3.6.0993
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

brevell wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:34 am I can expand the volume within the Storage Pool...
That's good and high time since you're over the warning threshold. Why don't you do that?
...but I cannot expand the existing Storage Pool nor create a new one.
You can't create a new pool unless you add more disks and a separate new RAID group. What disks did you replace with what disks and what RAID configuration do you use?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”