Disk Read/Write Error

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Re: Disk Read/Write Error

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi guys,
We will soon release a V3.1.2 beta firmware in the forum for users with WD HDDs in RAID configuration.
There has been some code modification to make QNAP NAS to adapt to these WD HDDs' characteristics.
To solve this once for all, WD has informed us that they will have a new firmware for their HDDs by the end of this year.

In the mean time, if you need an urgent solution, please PM me for more information.

Jason
NightFlash
New here

Re: [Please HELP]: Disk Read/Write Error

Post by NightFlash »

I also have problem with slot #6 on my 809U. =(
fma2112
Starting out

Post by fma2112 »

NightFlash wrote:I also have problem with slot #6 on my 809U. =(
Hi,

Do you have Seagate or WD HDD ?

Regarding my issue after a complete HDD Bad Block Scan, HDD #6 came back into the RAID 6 Array.
I have moved the NAS underside my desk to keep an eye on it :D

I'm making some read write benchmarking using free soft to see if hard disk will go back offline or not, go online after sleep and so on.

Kind Regards
Fma
Last edited by fma2112 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
QNAP TS-809
getprogs
Starting out

Post by getprogs »

Another one - WD20EADS disks in a TS-439.

Will keep the old TS-409 around until QNAP has a solution!
NightFlash
New here

Post by NightFlash »

fma2112 wrote:
NightFlash wrote:I also have problem with slot #6 on my 809U. =(
Hi,

Do you have Seagate or WD HDD ?

Regarding my issue after a complete HDD Bad Block Scan, HDD #6 came back into the RAID 6 Array.
I have moved the NAS underside my desk to keep an eye on it :D

I'm making some read write benchmarking using free soft to see if hard disk will go back offline or not, go online after sleep and so on.

Kind Regards
Fma
No I got the WD 2TB RE4 discs in my both qnaps
neklov
Getting the hang of things

Post by neklov »

When will the new Beta Firmware that solves this issue be released?

Thanks in advance!

Brg

Niklas Eklov
flcherb
First post

Post by flcherb »

Hi all i am also having this problem, this evening when i was using the nas to watch a video from the video paused for about 20 seconds and then started again.

I checked the administration page and it told me that the 2nd disk had been removed Seagate ST31500341AS CC1H 1.5tb therefore i took the disk out and put it back in and then the system did a bad block scan and it has found alot of bad blocks. The disk is not dead as i checked it in a different machine and it worked fine. i also checked it with tools on the other pc and no errors were found.

At the moment i am running a full bad blocks scan on the nas and it is at 0% and has been running for 3 hours. is this normal?

I am fast running out of ideas on what to do next. will the new firmware fix this problem?

I have only had the nas and the disks for a week!!!!!!!!!!! i am thinking of returning the nas and the disks as this seems to be a common problem with these devices.

Thanks for any help Jon
getprogs
Starting out

Post by getprogs »

Cheers,

This post just to let you know that the beta firmware seems to have solved the problem on my TS-439 with WD20EADS disks - a "bad block" scan completed in a couple of hours and the RAID automatically rebuilded itself onto the disk, and everything is currently reporting OK.

Remaining problem right now is confidence - don't know how long I will have to wait before I will consider this box reliable storage. Would HATE to see it take out two disks and effectively wipe all my data :-/
haraldo
New here

Post by haraldo »

Do you mean the V3.1.2 beta?
fma2112
Starting out

Post by fma2112 »

flcherb wrote:Hi all i am also having this problem, this evening when i was using the nas to watch a video from the video paused for about 20 seconds and then started again.

I checked the administration page and it told me that the 2nd disk had been removed Seagate ST31500341AS CC1H 1.5tb therefore i took the disk out and put it back in and then the system did a bad block scan and it has found alot of bad blocks. The disk is not dead as i checked it in a different machine and it worked fine. i also checked it with tools on the other pc and no errors were found.

At the moment i am running a full bad blocks scan on the nas and it is at 0% and has been running for 3 hours. is this normal?

I am fast running out of ideas on what to do next. will the new firmware fix this problem?

I have only had the nas and the disks for a week!!!!!!!!!!! i am thinking of returning the nas and the disks as this seems to be a common problem with these devices.

Thanks for any help Jon
Hi flcherb,

I had the same problem with same Seagate HDD model and firmware version.
I send a mail with all required informations to QNAPJason and he answered me that he was surprised that the problem happened with Seagate drive.

Could you send to QNAPJason a mail with all required informations (as said in his post http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... =40#p81245 on page 4) to help QNAP to troubleshoot our problems too ?

Thanks in advance because it's very important that Seagate will considered too for this problem.

I'm not alone :D

Kind Reagrds
Fabien
QNAP TS-809
Moccona
First post

Post by Moccona »

fma2112 wrote:
flcherb wrote:Hi all i am also having this problem, this evening when i was using the nas to watch a video from the video paused for about 20 seconds and then started again.

Thanks for any help Jon
Hi flcherb,

I send a mail with all required informations to QNAPJason and he answered me that he was surprised that the problem happened with Seagate drive.

Could you send to QNAPJason a mail with all required informations (as said in his post http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... =40#p81245 on page 4) to help QNAP to troubleshoot our problems too ?

Thanks in advance because it's very important that Seagate will considered too for this problem.

Kind Reagrds
Fabien
Hi there,
It seems I’m not alone ether, I just registered in the forum to post up regarding this also.
I have the 809 unit with the following drives:
5 x Seagate ST31000333AS CC1F
(1TB 7200.11 drives)
and also getting the disk read/write error. I am hoping we get this fixed soon as we have multiple clients wanting to use NAS types of devices.
For me, it’s a brand new unit on loan from our supplier to see how good they are. I upgraded to the latest production firmware and still the issue persisted. In particular it’s with drive2. Everything in the chassis looks fine, cables are seated correctly etc..
I will send a message to QNAPJason also.
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi,
for those with Seagate HDDs, please try to run Bad Block Scan first. Also Check Disk.

You may also use Seagate's Seatools to scan your HDDs.
fma2112
Starting out

Post by fma2112 »

Moccona wrote:
fma2112 wrote:

Thanks for any help Jon

Hi flcherb,

Kind Reagrds
Fabien
Hi there,
It seems I’m not alone ether, I just registered in the forum to post up regarding this also.
I have the 809 unit with the following drives:
5 x Seagate ST31000333AS CC1F
(1TB 7200.11 drives)
and also getting the disk read/write error. I am hoping we get this fixed soon as we have multiple clients wanting to use NAS types of devices.
For me, it’s a brand new unit on loan from our supplier to see how good they are. I upgraded to the latest production firmware and still the issue persisted. In particular it’s with drive2. Everything in the chassis looks fine, cables are seated correctly etc..
I will send a message to QNAPJason also.
Hi Moccona,

Thanks too for your return
I have find a nice tool (iozone) with which you could test your NAS Read / Write with output data in excel format.

To sum up last trouble with Seagate HDD we have (much better witha true table :roll: ):

Code: Select all

[1] Member,[2] HDD Model,[3] HDD Firmware Version,[4] HDD Capacity,[5] HDD Serial Number,[6] NAS Model,[7] NAS Firmware Version,[8] NAS HDD Position,[9] Bad Block Scan,[10] Bad Block Scan Result,[11] Seagate Tool Scan,[12] Seagate Tool Scan Result

[1] flcherb,[2] ST31500341AS,[3] CC1H,[4] 1.5Tb,[5] ?,[6] ?,[7] ?,[8] ?,[9] On going,[10] ?,[11] ?,[12] ?
[1] Moconna,[2] ST31000333AS,[3] CC1F,[4] 1.0Tb,[5] ?,[6] TS-809,[7] ?,[8] HDD#2,[9] ?,[10] ?,[11] ?,[12] ?
[1] fma2112,[2] ST31500341AS,[3] CC1H,[4] 1.5Tb,[5] 9VS20ZBJ,[6] TS-809,[7] 3.1.1 0815T,[8] HDD#6,[9] Yes,[10] Ok,[11] Yes,[12] Ok

Do not hesitate to correct me or to add informations or new troubles.

Kind regards to all
Fabien
QNAP TS-809
bluepixel
New here

Post by bluepixel »

I just got my TS439 yesterday and filled it with 4 SAMSUNG HD154UI 1AG0.

This morning, drive 4 did fall out, then shortly afterwards drive 3 as well. I reinserted them, they both have green lights again.

Rapid test says : Completed: read failure(Rapid test) on both drives.

Smart information shows only "OK" values on the faulty? drives.

I don't think the hds are faulty, as I just bought them! It must be a Qnap software/hardware issue somehow.

What shall I do? How I can get my QNAP to accept those drives again? Do I ahve to run the full scan?
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi guys,
We have officially released the beta firmware v3.1.2 Build 1001.
If you are using Western Digital Green HDDs and experiencing HDD dropouts, please update to the new firmware and finish the Bad Block Scan first.

Intel-based NAS
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=19766

Marvel-based NAS
http://forum.qnap.com/viewforum.php?f=161

Jason

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”