Disk Read/Write Error

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
QNAPJason
QNAP Staff

Re: Disk Read/Write Error

Post by QNAPJason »

Hi thanatos74,
Thanks for providing the detailed description and the purchase/NAS information. We will help you out immediately.
The hardware should be faulty.
You'll be contacted via e-mail by our tech. support soon.

Jason
stokni
Starting out

Post by stokni »

Since the 3.2.0 firmware i got the Read Write errors again, which was fixed in 3.1.2
3x WDC WD2002FYPS-01U1B04.0 harddrives, TS 509 Pro.

Why did this issue return? was running fine on 3.1.2. for serveral weeks.. did the ncq thingy got swtiched on again?
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

stokni wrote:... did the ncq thingy got swtiched on again?
Here some hints on how to check NCQ settings: http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=161&t=20085
kapo1999
New here

Post by kapo1999 »

I got the same problem from my TS-219P that 2xWD10EADS are being used. The HDD is occasionally kicked out from the RAID (around once a month).

As per Qjason request (mentioned in earlier in this email thread), the requested info has been sent to him offline via email. Please kindly help to confirm my problem and revert it asap.

Indeed, I have been contacted the Qnap offical technial for this issue but they are telling me that there is no such known issue in QNAP TS-210P and just keep ask me to return the unit to the shop. Until I read this email thread, I believe that there is apparently an IOT issue with the Green series of WD that suppose not to be a HDD for RAID.

I also contact WD for the patch that Qjason mentioned. But, they reply me that WD10EADS do not support RAID and advice me to purchase "Enterprise" edition of HDD.
seymoma
New here

Post by seymoma »

We are having the same issue with our TS-809U using the latest firmware 3.2.0 build 1205T and WD2002FYPS disks. Random disks continue to drop out periodically making the space redundant due to the instability of the RAID.

Making the disk a single volume, formatting it and putting it back in the RAID solves the issues for a short period of time.

dnz16 - After you received your replacement QNAP, did the firmware update of your WD2002FYPS (to 04.05G05) solve the issue for you?
jltcit
First post

Post by jltcit »

I am running a TS-809U 8xWD2002FYPS.
I have firmware update 3.1.2 Build 1014T.
I have received the red light of death on 2 of the drives.
Both drives came back OK on the SMART test. (although I'm not sure how SMART this test really is)
Both drives came up good with the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic.
I have no problem with these drives except when they are in my QNAP.

Is anyone else running 2TB drives and having problems with them?
Is anyone running this model (TS-809U) successfully with 8x2TB drives or 8x1.5TB drives? What brand HD are you using.
I'm not having any luck with the QNAP tech support either.
Any suggestions from those with more experience would be appreciated.

Anyone from QNAP Tech support... help me Obi-wan you're my only hope.
thanatos74
Starting out

Post by thanatos74 »

QNAPJason wrote:Hi thanatos74,
Thanks for providing the detailed description and the purchase/NAS information. We will help you out immediately.
The hardware should be faulty.
You'll be contacted via e-mail by our tech. support soon.

Jason
Now my TS-509 is on its way back to QNAP and I cant wait to get the replacement unit.
Hopefully my problems are gone after replacing the hardware.
QNAP really reacted very fast and uncomplicated in my case.

thanatos74
~ Two hours of trial and error can save ten minutes of RTFM ~
MikeAce
New here

Post by MikeAce »

The problem is with the drives not the NAS. I have 5 of these drives and they are literally plagued with problems like this. I've had 2 separate drives drop out on me. doing a little research I discovered that regardless of the drive firmware, these seagate drives are not a good choice for any type of RAID because of a freezing issue. expensive mistake on my part for buying these drives before researching properly.
thanatos74
Starting out

Post by thanatos74 »

MikeAce, can you tell us where you've found that information about Seagate drives?
My research was done, when I found the seagate drives I use on the drive compatibility list - I thought this indicates the drives are working well with the nas.
I'm not quite sure, that the problem is only about seagate drives. A friend of mine is/was also experiencing the disk drop out issue with Samsung drives...
Since he downgraded his firmware to 3.1.1 his problems are gone.
So in my opinion there is also something wrong with the firmware - despite the fact, that there are certainly more and less suitable hdd's for raid operations.
~ Two hours of trial and error can save ten minutes of RTFM ~
mahatmax
New here

Post by mahatmax »

Hi all,

just bought a TS-410 and it gives the same read/write problem as described in this thread.
It happened then changing from RAID 1 to RAID5. I use 4 Caviar Green WD10EADS. How could it be that those are in compatibility list and additionally are not approved for RAID from WD???

I also made a firmware update to 3.1.2 Build 1207T not solving the problem.
As I'm not an Computer Expert I would like to know if there is a certain chance to get the system running stabile?
Does anybody have experience if the option one single disc works?

Thanks for your help.

BR mahatmax
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

mahatmax wrote:I use 4 Caviar Green WD10EADS. How could it be that those are in compatibility list and additionally are not approved for RAID from WD?
Because of the fact the compatibility tests were run before WD denied RAID support and the fact that during interoperability checks with factory new disks write or read errors do not happen to often... If your disks are also new (like you say your TS-410 is) - go to your delaer and swap the Caviar Green WD10EADS to WD Enterprise REx units of the same size.
mahatmax wrote:I also made a firmware update to 3.1.2 Build 1207T not solving the problem.
This issue can never ever be resolved by the QNAP Turbo NAS firmware.
mahatmax wrote:As I'm not an Computer Expert I would like to know if there is a certain chance to get the system running stabile?
If your WD10EADS drives have been manufactured before mid of November, you are a good IT colleague will be able to enable TLER on your disks, and at this time also adjust the IDLE3 timer to 30..255 seconds. This requires a PC mother board with SATA interfaces, a MS-DOS boot device (CD-ROM, USB stick) and the WDTLER.EXE and WDIDLE3.EXE utilities from WD. the risk remains, if one of your WD10EADS goes to a warranty exchange, it might happen you get a disk manufactured after mid of November, and TLER can no longer be enabled. And then you are finally lost, if WD does no longer supply "old" firmware with the TLER capability then.

If this is to complex, and you have nobody to help - back to the first answer above - replace by WD RE3 or RE4 units. Oh, before I forget - ensure you get the latest firmware if you should select the WD RE4 GP ... see http://files.qnap.com/download/Forum/WD ... elease.pdf ... a typical but once honest report and firmware upgrade from WD.

Sorry - life is hard - and all HDD manufacturers have certain issues with their large capacity drives.

-Kurt.
DaveW
Starting out

Post by DaveW »

schumaku wrote:
mahatmax wrote:I use 4 Caviar Green WD10EADS. How could it be that those are in compatibility list and additionally are not approved for RAID from WD?
Because of the fact the compatibility tests were run before WD denied RAID support and the fact that during interoperability checks with factory new disks write or read errors do not happen to often... If your disks are also new (like you say your TS-410 is) - go to your delaer and swap the Caviar Green WD10EADS to WD Enterprise REx units of the same size.
mahatmax wrote:I also made a firmware update to 3.1.2 Build 1207T not solving the problem.
This issue can never ever be resolved by the QNAP Turbo NAS firmware.
mahatmax wrote:As I'm not an Computer Expert I would like to know if there is a certain chance to get the system running stabile?
If your WD10EADS drives have been manufactured before mid of November, you are a good IT colleague will be able to enable TLER on your disks, and at this time also adjust the IDLE3 timer to 30..255 seconds. This requires a PC mother board with SATA interfaces, a MS-DOS boot device (CD-ROM, USB stick) and the WDTLER.EXE and WDIDLE3.EXE utilities from WD. the risk remains, if one of your WD10EADS goes to a warranty exchange, it might happen you get a disk manufactured after mid of November, and TLER can no longer be enabled. And then you are finally lost, if WD does no longer supply "old" firmware with the TLER capability then.

If this is to complex, and you have nobody to help - back to the first answer above - replace by WD RE3 or RE4 units. Oh, before I forget - ensure you get the latest firmware if you should select the WD RE4 GP ... see http://files.qnap.com/download/Forum/WD ... elease.pdf ... a typical but once honest report and firmware upgrade from WD.

Sorry - life is hard - and all HDD manufacturers have certain issues with their large capacity drives.

-Kurt.
I raised a call with WD and they stated that the Caviar drives are approved in RAID configurations? They wont replace unless the disks fail their "Windows Data Lifeguard Diagnostics" test. The model is WDC WD2002FYPS-01

Dave
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Your WD2002FYPS is a 2 TB WD RE4 enterprise (Raid Edition), not a WD Caviar Green / Caviar Blue / Caviar Black desktop drive - thus not subject of the deep error correction and TLER feature withdrawn on the desktop drives.

There is an issue with the RE4 - you are highly encouraged to request a firmware update from WD and implement ASAP if your drives are not on the status WD2002FYPS-01U1B1 with 04.05G05 firmware. FMI: http://files.qnap.com/download/Forum/WD ... elease.pdf

Everybody please check the WDC web site for the respective model lines - and don't mix up facts.

-Kurt.
mahatmax
New here

Post by mahatmax »

Dear shumaku,

thanks for your fast und competent help.
I'm in contact with my dealer to get a replacement.

Frohe Weihnachten

mahatmax
DaveW
Starting out

Post by DaveW »

schumaku wrote:Your WD2002FYPS is a 2 TB WD RE4 enterprise (Raid Edition), not a WD Caviar Green / Caviar Blue / Caviar Black desktop drive - thus not subject of the deep error correction and TLER feature withdrawn on the desktop drives.

There is an issue with the RE4 - you are highly encouraged to request a firmware update from WD and implement ASAP if your drives are not on the status WD2002FYPS-01U1B1 with 04.05G05 firmware. FMI: http://files.qnap.com/download/Forum/WD ... elease.pdf

Everybody please check the WDC web site for the respective model lines - and don't mix up facts.

-Kurt.
Thanks for that. BTW I've noticed a pattern with the failures - we've been having some hot weather in Sydney and drives have "failed" on the hottest days only?

Dave

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”