Since update to QTS 4.3.5 Live Update cannot be performed

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
frankvdw
Starting out

Re: Since update to QTS 4.3.5 Live Update cannot be performed

Post by frankvdw »

I had the same issue. Installed and ran the Malware remover. Restarted and the problem was still there.
Waited a while, probably for all the processes to finish starting and it appears good now.
Running TS-451+ with version 4.3.5.0760
Thanks

Cheers,

Frank
frankvdw
Starting out

Post by frankvdw »

Thought mine was fixed. Not so. The next day it's failing with the same error message. Is it really necessary to change the DNS addresses for the fix to work?
Painkiller
New here

Post by Painkiller »

MusicalChris wrote: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:22 am Hi Guys, i asked support and they sent the below

a) Please change the IP address of DNS to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

b) Please check whether the default gateway settings is correct.

c) Please download and install the Malware Remover 3.3.1 manually.

https://download.qnap.com/QPKG/MalwareR ... 164559.zip

How to install the Malware Remover qpkg manually:

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... s-manually

Once the Malware Remover is installed, please reboot the NAS and check if the issue is the same or not.

This worked on my 251+ with same issue, shows now as firmware us up to date when looking for a firmware update

Hope this helps

Chris
Thanks a lot! Worked fine on my TVS-671. Story was the same - after upgrade to 4.3.5.0754 firmware upgrade stopped working. Manual upgrade to 4.3.5.0760 did not solve the issue. Just installing MalwareRemover solved the issue, while the scan itself did not bring up any findings.
edccorp
Starting out

Post by edccorp »

It worked for me also, but after a few hours problem returned. I can temporarily fix the problem by running "Malware Remover" and immediately after it finishes scanning I can perform online check for firmware updates, but problem will return after a few hours. BTW, I have upgraded my 253A to 4.3.6.0776 and problem remains.
frankvdw
Starting out

Post by frankvdw »

I tried changing the DNS and it worked temporarily. Changed the DNS back to my ISP's DNS.
I find it works intermittently. Some days it will, others not. It was working ok last night until I updated to 4.3.6.0776 but after the restart it stopped working again. I'm not sure what the trigger is to make it work. Also tried the Malware Remover without success.
It is frustrating to have to check online for an update each time as I'm currently waiting on Support for a fix for the Media Streaming Add-On not auto starting at boot.
cdcllcga
New here

Post by cdcllcga »

I had same problem on TVS-682 and this fixed the issue. The most important warnings are in the attached screen print; it also seemed that all the app files were repaired. :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SageCloud
Starting out

Post by SageCloud »

Same issue here. I changed the "System Default Gateway" on the tab Interfaces in the "Menu Network&Virtual Switch" to another Adapter(/interface), which resulted in a solution...

...Until last night...
I tried switching adapters again, but it didn't work. I have a none working situation once again. On this date, there is also no new firmware available.

The fix I use now is as follows;
1. Login on the QNAP through SSH
2. run the command vi /etc/resolv.conf
3. press i to edit the file
4. replace "127.0.1.1" with the DNS server you want to use. I used 8.8.8.8
5a. if you screwed up the file, press [ESC] to exit edit mode and use :q! [ENTER] to exit (semicolon, the letter q and exclamation mark). You will exit editing mode NOT saving changes.
5b. if did ok, press [ESC], :wq (semicolom, letter w and q) to exit editing mode and save changes

Now it should be working again.

BIG NOTE! These change will not outlive a reboot from the NAS! If you reboot the NAS these settings will be lost!
frankvdw
Starting out

Post by frankvdw »

I use a different solution based on previous posts. I run a malware scan with malware remover 3.3.1. As soon as it's finished, even though no malware is detected, I do a firmware Check for Update and it will work. My DNS settings are still those provided by my ISP. Setting them to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 made no difference.

Has anyone logged this with support beyond the original solution of changing the DNS (which didn't work long term anyway)?
vitaly2016
New here

Post by vitaly2016 »

I had the same issue "Firmware upgrade can't be performed. Please check the network connection, or update it manually."
After installing Malware Remover 3.3.1 the malware was found too:

Repaired infected file or folder. Name: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.mApvfwnuzpQTIhtqc/jjnmFpdpLjTsj.sh
Removed malicious file or folder. Path: /home/httpd/cgi-bin/qid/logout.cgi.
Repaired infected file or folder. Name: /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.qpkg/diagnosticApp/QNAP_Diagnostic_Tool.sh
and other similar things...

Really what the f**k is that? QNAP has been hiding THEIR BIG SECURITY FAULT?

But after removing malware I still have "Firmware upgrade can't be performed. Please check the network connection, or update it manually."
DNS is set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 as was recommended

P.S.
Just tried the trick with changing nameserver from 127.0.0.1 to real one via SSH (putty) - it works! Thank you SageCloud!
But it will work only before next reboot.

So question is open - WHAT IS GOING ON WITH LATEST FIRMWARES??? They are still infected?
QNAP, all hidden things will be revealed in the end!
Further silence is the way to shame
vitaly2016
New here

Post by vitaly2016 »

Control Panel -> System -> Hardware -> General
I had checkbox is set at
"Run user defined processes during startup". I did not set it!
After unchecking this checkbox and rebooting checking firmware update is working at last ("The firmware is up-to-date.")!
But maybe this is not for long?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

maybe malware infection was also in the autorun.sh (not uncommon)

https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Running_Your ... at_Startup
efeene
Starting out

Post by efeene »

Same problem here on my TS-451+
The change of nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf from 127.0.1.1 to 8.8.8.8 did not solve.
Only when install https://download.qnap.com/QPKG/MalwareR ... 164559.zip and reboot I have all system online (App center, Qnapcloud, etc...)
oko
First post

Post by oko »

Thanks MusicalChris.

Repaired, thanks so much. TVS-471.
pulsar21
First post

Post by pulsar21 »

ninjapanda wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:56 pm Hey - same issue on my end. However I've also lost functionality of the Appcentre since the upgrade. However I submitted a ticket via the NAS helpdesk and it sent out fine. Issue only came about with upgrade to QTS 4.3.5
Hi,
what's the status about this issue? It has been addressed by QNAP? Can we expetct a fix for it?
silvester.sokola
First post

Post by silvester.sokola »

Thanks MusicalChris!
You post helped me to upgrade the FW to QTS4.3.6.0805

I also managed to remove the autorun.sh script completely via SSH. So far I do not see any downside of not having the script...

TABR,
Silvester
TABR,
Silvester

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”