Notification of users logging on

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Petep74093
Getting the hang of things

Notification of users logging on

Post by Petep74093 »

I have things set up so that I can see when users are online. My question is whether it is possible to set up a log, via Notification Centre, to let me know when users have logged onto the NAS?
Model: TS-453 Pro -- RAM: 8GB
FW: QTS 4.4.1.1117(09/11/2019)
WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 x4 Red HDDs - RAID 5
UPS: APC BG700G

Backups and maintenance routines are essential and shouldn't be overlooked. If you can't replace the data then any loss is firmly on your shoulders.

NAS is only a storage facility and not a magical place protected by knights and elves.

Back it up and secure it or lose it - your choice ! :mrgreen:
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Notification of users logging on

Post by dolbyman »

logged into QTS or into shares ?
Petep74093

Post by Petep74093 »

Logged into QTS itself, more to get an idea of when people are logging in.

Backups and maintenance routines are essential and shouldn't be overlooked. If you can't replace the data then any loss is firmly on your shoulders.

NAS is only a storage facility and not a magical place protected by knights and elves.

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

qts logins have login event log entries ..so notification center should be able to inform you
Petep74093

Post by Petep74093 »

Follow up - I couldn't find a way to use notification centre to mail me when users login so raised it with QNAP support. They've come back to me and confirmed that Notification centre can't do this, so it's being raised to product support as a feature request, So have to wait and see when that might be done

gcstang
Starting out

Post by gcstang »

Petep74093 wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:36 am Follow up - I couldn't find a way to use notification centre to mail me when users login so raised it with QNAP support. They've come back to me and confirmed that Notification centre can't do this, so it's being raised to product support as a feature request, So have to wait and see when that might be done
Did you receive any update on this topic?
jbrychka
New here

Post by jbrychka »

I'm seeing login attempts as well in my logs and would like to get notified on any login in case they are successful. Is there any way to create an event for this now?
Petep74093

Post by Petep74093 »

I've not followed on this recently so not sure if anything has been done, as it was being raised as a feature request then it may be sometime before any action is taken

jtanne
First post

Post by jtanne »

Seems to work if you perform 2 steps: (I have a German user interface, so the translations of menu names might not be 100 % correct)
1) in QuLog Center:
Alert settings >> add filter criteria for System access protocol >> here include "User" and type in the username of the specific user
2) in Notification Center:
Create a rule for event notifications >> In "Name and Events" include everything, in "Notification criteria" you can again set a filter for the username

Regards
Jens

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”