kernel_processes maxing out CPU usage

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
agent929
New here

kernel_processes maxing out CPU usage

Post by agent929 »

Hi guys, I have a TS-451U with 4GB of RAM installed, running the latest firmware.

The issue I'm having that prompted me to look into this is I'm having a lot of trouble with QVR pro and trying to load playback video, or just log in at all, both remotely and locally. There are only 6 cameras running at 720P, 15 FPS, 1024 bitrate.

When looking at the resource manager it shows that kernel_processes is taking up most of the CPU, capping it out at 100% most of the time. Today it's average was around 80-90% by itself!

Using the top command doesn't show this. I can't seem to find anything specifically for my NAS to break down the kernel_processes process.

I've contacted support, but nobody is really sure of what's happening.

The issue only occurs when QVR Pro is running. If I stop the service, CPU utilization averages between 14-60%,which still might be high considering I don't have anything at all running on this NAS and I have every last thing disabled that I can, including UPnP on the router, but excluding "Enable file service for Microsoft networking". I also don't use myqnapcloud stuff at all.

The purpose of this NAS is to have a volume for data that's used by mapping a network drive in Windows, and QVR Pro.

I am literally the only person that uses or connects to this NAS for anything.

After rebooting the NAS, usage drops down to what I think would be normal, but if I do anything at all with QVR Pro the usage spikes to 100% and stays there until I reboot the NAS.

Things I have tried:

I read somewhere that changes the ethernet port on the back of the NAS fixes it, it didn't for me.

I deleted QVR Pro and Container Station, along with all directories created by it and set it up from scratch several times.

I ran the Malware Removal Tool, and I have a subscription for McAfee on the NAS, both came back negitive. (for whatever reason, ClamAV will not update nor scan. It keeps getting ** at 0% on the scan. I can manually update, but it still won't perform a scan after several hours)

I read somewhere that having a space in a shared folder will cause this issue, I changed it and it still had no effect.

I have downgraded the firmware per QNAP tech supports instructions, and it did not change anything.

I have not performed a factory reset of the unit because I am to chicken that I will loose some files, especially since I'm not sure that will work at all.

Has anybody had this issue? If so what did you do to fix it?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: kernel_processes maxing out CPU usage

Post by dolbyman »

why did you post this 3 times ?
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=147355
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Stop multiposting. Other posts deleted.
Use the forum search feature before posting.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
NAS: TVS-h674 | F/W: 5.0.1.2376 | 16GB | 3 x 18TB RAID 5
Apps: DNSMasq, PLEX, iDrive, QVPN, QLMS, MP3fs, HBS3, Entware, DLstation, VS, +
agent929
New here

Post by agent929 »

I didn't intentionally multipost anything. You can try using a little bit of tact next time, wouldn't kill you. Any reason why these forums are loading so slowly today? Wouldn't think it's just me, at work, on mobile with Verizon, and at home. All 3 different ISPs and different devices.

Also, I deleted the other post myself, there should have only been one.

Now that all that mess is cleared up I'd like to help produce productive comments on the issue. I can only assume that QNAP owns the forums for the community, and being my business just spent over 80k on QNAP stuff, the least they could do is let me post here about the issue I have with mine since tech support doesn't know and doesn't really have a lot of time to deal with it.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

agent929 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:50 am I didn't intentionally multipost anything. You can try using a little bit of tact next time, wouldn't kill you. Any reason why these forums are loading so slowly today?
loading slow for me too :(
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

I think the forum had a temporary issue around the time the OP was posting. I was getting a few SQL errors then.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
twiga
Starting out

Post by twiga »

Is there any update on this issue. We are also experiencing high CPU usage.
Model: TS-453 Pro + TS-653 Pro
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

Open a ticket.

Use RAID and external backups. RAID will protect you from disk failure, keep your system running, and data accessible while the disk is replaced, and the RAID rebuilt. Backups will allow you to recover data that is lost or corrupted, or from system failure. One does not replace the other.

NAS: TVS-882BR | F/W: 5.0.1.2346 | 40GB | 2 x 1TB M.2 SATA RAID 1 (System/VMs) | 3 x 1TB M.2 NMVe QM2-4P-384A RAID 5 (cache) | 5 x 14TB Exos HDD RAID 6 (Data) | 1 x Blu-ray
agent929
New here

Post by agent929 »

I've contacted support, but nobody is really sure of what's happening.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

I would move this to the Surveillance thread
What version of Firmware/QVR Pro?
Did Qnap give any further advice?
agent929
New here

Post by agent929 »

They didn't give anymore advice unfortunately. They are as clueless as me.

We've tried a mix of different firmwares and versions of QVR Pro. They sent me a link to download older versions. When I last messed with it it was running the latest build that came out a week or so ago and the newest release of QVR Pro.

Since my OP I have reinitialized the NAS unit and spent quite a few hours with it and had the exact same result. I'm more convinced it's malware at this point, just haven't found out exactly what yet.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

Hmm, last malware report was this. You sure malware? But who caused it, you or Qnap?
https://www.qnap.com/en/security-advisory/nas-201902-13
agent929
New here

Post by agent929 »

I'm not sure if it's malware or not, but it's about the only thing that can explain it unless something is faulty they are not seeing. I've depleted my warranty by taking so much time with QNAP trying to resolve this.

From day 1 the only thing I have ever enabled and used is SAMBA, QVR Pro, and McAfee. The only reason I even decided to use McAfee is because the built in ClamAV won't update or scan regardless of everything we have tried, even after the re-initialization. I disabled all other services including the QNAP cloud functions and have a locked down pfSense router without UPnP enabled.
onlyumike
New here

Post by onlyumike »

Hi everyone,

I have the similar issue on my QNAP 451-A, even not ruing QVR Pro and McAfee on my device. I think this should not a specific problem, we need to ask in this forum and QNAP to provide a solution.
I experience very slow during WebUI access, remote file access from Windows and Mac, though these are just for home use, not for office use.
Model: TS-451A -- RAM: 8G -- FW: QTS 4.5.1.1540
NAS HDDs --RAID0 1x8TB; RAID5: 3x8TB
Don
Guru

Post by Don »

So you are running the same version firmware and apps as the others did two years age? Don’t post to years old topics. Start a new topic and provide details.

This topic locked to prevent further necroposting.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”