TS-412 won't start - external power supply flashing green led

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
fabiodafirenze
New here

Post by fabiodafirenze »

A TS-412 at work suddenly stopped working. There was a bad smell and the unit failed to boot. The TS-412 has an external power supply which should provide 12V at 10A, with a 4 pin connector, two pairs of 12V outputs. By itself, the PS shows 12.3 V (with a multimeter) on both outputs, and a steady green light. When I try to reattach it to the TS-412 the fan starts, but the unit doesn't boot. In addition, the power suppy green light starts blinking and a strange buzzing sound can be heard from the ps itself. Is it maybe the power supply which has failed and is unable to sustain the unit's electrical load? Or is it a motherboard issue? The NAS should have been replaced anyway, but we must recover a couple day's work. It was configured as a RAID5, any hope of recovering files attaching the disks to a Linux of Windows PC?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-412 won't start - external power supply flashing green led

Post by dolbyman »

where did the magic smoke escape from? power supply or nas?

cat1 drives(like your old 412) can easily recovered with windows or linux md tools

cat2 not anymore..so if you get a new qnap unit make sure you do external backups (even more than you should have done in the first place)
fabiodafirenze
New here

Post by fabiodafirenze »

The smell came from the PS... I think: PS and unit were..close. The blinking green PS LED has clearly a meaning - it doesn't blink when the power supply is only connected to the mains and I'm able to measure voltage - it would be nice to know WHAT meaning.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

maybe open a ticket with qnap .. no idea what that color code means .. could be defect of PS, or short circuit/overload on NAS .. no clue .. but they might
fabiodafirenze
New here

Post by fabiodafirenze »

If somebody's still interested... it was the power supply after all. We found a cheap replacement online and once it was changed the NAS came back unscathed..
philstar_nz
Starting out

Post by philstar_nz »

I have this exact problem with my TS-412 without the "bad smell "
cheers for the diagnosis i will get an new power supply
MarkNAS2
New here

Post by MarkNAS2 »

Green Light flashing on power block, Yes that is power supply failure the green light flashes as the NAS demands power. At least on mine it is possible to see 12V on both pins until a load is added. The NAS itself starts to power disc activity and fan cuts in then dies ! Probably a capacitor in the power block that has dried out. Most of the failed power supplies I see have that problem and if you know what your doing they can be replaced for only a few pence. These units are some what sealed so not recommended for a self fix.
danaburns
First post

Post by danaburns »

fabiodafirenze wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:26 am If somebody's still interested... it was the power supply after all. We found a cheap replacement online and once it was changed the NAS came back unscathed..
I'm interested. can you share where you managed to source one?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

A quick ebay search finds plenty of those , pretty sure AliExpress would have em too
Screenshot_2021-03-31 AC Adapter For QNAP SP-4BAY-ADAPTOR NAS TS-410 TS-412 TS-409 Power Supply Cord eBay.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
seandarcy
New here

Post by seandarcy »

Hello @abiodafirenze

With regards to your post....
Post by fabiodafirenze » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:46 pm
A TS-412 at work suddenly stopped working. There was a bad smell and the unit failed to boot. The TS-412 has an external power supply which should provide 12V at 10A, with a 4 pin connector, two pairs of 12V outputs. By itself, the PS shows 12.3 V (with a multimeter) on both outputs, and a steady green light. When I try to reattach it to the TS-412 the fan starts, but the unit doesn't boot. In addition, the power suppy green light starts blinking and a strange buzzing sound can be heard from the ps itself. Is it maybe the power supply which has failed and is unable to sustain the unit's electrical load? Or is it a motherboard issue? The NAS should have been replaced anyway, but we must recover a couple day's work. It was configured as a RAID5, any hope of recovering files attaching the disks to a Linux of Windows PC?

With the unit not powering on correctly, did you see any sequence of light flashes on the unit itself? Can you recall?
I suspect I have the same issue and wish to confirm.
The power lights rotate various blinking colours but every second or two I get a brief flash of red across each of the drives at the top of each (same time). I have mounted and confirmed each drive is readable and OK by using R-Linux on a Windows PC via a SATA connector. USB produced nada.

Any information appreciated. Cheers!
Sean Darcy
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Post is two years old...buy a new power supply and confirm yourself
seandarcy
New here

Post by seandarcy »

Nice one @dolbyman, Thanks for the constructive advice. How about you go flog yourself. You do not seem to have much else to do. Cheers big guy.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

seandarcy wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:36 pm Nice one @dolbyman, Thanks for the constructive advice. How about you go flog yourself. You do not seem to have much else to do. Cheers big guy.
Sean: if you ask for advice, don't get upset when you receive it.

I hope your future posts will be a little more congenial. Cheers. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
seandarcy
New here

Post by seandarcy »

Heya @OneCD, would not call stating the damn obvious advice.

My request for information was polite and specific. Was not even addressed to him.

I had already performed the obvious and had ordered a replacement... 4 to 6 weeks delivery time.

Strange to see that you think that was advice on a polite and specific information request.

Always the few hey.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

seandarcy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:24 am Strange to see that you think that was advice on a polite and specific information request.
It was.

Your reply - on the other hand - was something else entirely, and quite inappropriate.

I'd like to ensure you're able to continue to get responses from the community, which won't happen if you're rude to responders. ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”