random reboot issues

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: random reboot issues

Post by dolbyman »

there is no qnap here..so what "guys" are you talking to?

open a ticket...or go unheard
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

i reckon it's just to inform other users about a problem.

i'll still remind just in case they havent yet, to ALSO create a helpdesk ticket.

I tried reporting a ticket due to a seemingly general problem that began with 4.4.1 and now possibly into 4.4.2 for for some users suffering random reboots, but they only wish to accept individual tickets.....

so yes plz do report if you haven't or they really will not acknowledge this issue o-o; .....
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Chuck_IV
Starting out

Post by Chuck_IV »

dolbyman wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:13 pm there is no qnap here..so what "guys" are you talking to?

open a ticket...or go unheard
The QNAP "guys", who else would I be referring to? :roll:

When creating a ticket, point them to the thread and they do take notice. That has happened a couple times now for me.

And on topic, I just had another random reboot a litle while ago.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

well, as said before the QNAP 'guys' do not come here (maybe when you send them a link) .. otherwise no need to address qnap here .. as there is nobody
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

afaik, if you have an active ticket with them on this issue, they will ask you to send them the dumplogs after experiencing random reboot.

you probably best ask them when you can expect some resolution for your issue after having sent dumplog.

because last time i sent and did whatever was asked, i was left hanging until the matter extended to a month or more, till it was finally closed remaing unresolved.

so if you don't want that to happen to you, best push for when you can expect some sort of fix for your issue.

also they don't care about threads. they only entertain tickets by individual users. best have an active ticket
https://service.qnap.com
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
Veyabilc11
New here

Post by Veyabilc11 »

Hi NicolasK,

Did the downgrading fix the issue of restarting? I am having the same issue now with my newly bought Qnap TS-873 with the latest Firmware 4.5.

Will the 4.3.6.1070 version fix the issue?

Regards,

Clive
Veyabilc11
New here

Post by Veyabilc11 »

paulsey wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:18 pm I too have been experiencing random reboots on my TS-451+ 8GB. I upgraded to 4.4.1 pretty much 'straight out of the box', so it had very little in terms of stored data and installed apps and was not a pleasent first experience. The reboots often would coincide with high usage activity (CPU/RAM/Disk), but I also had reboots at 4:30am a couple of days in a row when no-one was on or using the device!! I pretty soon got sick of restarting containers and doing disk checks on 'unclean disks' so I have this morning performed the downgrade to 4.3.6 with much the same experience as described by fellow posters - needed to remove and reinstall virtual station, media streaming add-on, but what little data was on the storage remained in tact. Too early to tell if this will fix the random renoots, but fingers crossed (sad to have to say that!!). Dissappointing that a firmware gets released to production in such a poor state!!
Hi Paulsey,

Did the downgrade fix the issue? I am having the same issue of rebooting.

Regards,

Clive
Veyabilc11
New here

Post by Veyabilc11 »

NicolasK wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:15 pm Hi Fellas

Just wanted to mention that the problem is still there in the official release. I upgraded to 4.4.1, what caused a raid resync and random reboots every 4 to 1 hours. I first believed I had a faulty drive, but how high is the probability of that happening exactly after a firmware upgrade? I did a firmware downgrade (without reset, just installing) and my NAS (TS-453A) is totally stable again. No data loss occured. I just had to un- and reinstall 3 applications (including VM), but their config was still intact afterwards.

For those who have the problem that crashing appears to often to downgrade: I observed that giving load on disks and cpu can provoke the crash. Deactivate all background apps and set raid rebuild priority to the "service first" setting in the storage manager. That got me at least 2 hours between reboots.

Best
Nicolas

P.S.: I reported to helpdesk after the downgrade, but they asked me to reinstall 4.4.1. because I sent a log after downgrade, but I will definately NOT do that :)

Hi NicolasK,

Did the downgrading fix the issue of restarting? I am having the same issue now with my newly bought Qnap TS-873 with the latest Firmware 4.5.

Will the 4.3.6.1070 version fix the issue?

Regards,

Clive
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

if u check my other thread, i mentioned that this RR that began with 4.4.1 was resolved for me in the later 4.4.2 builds. i also tested 4.4.3 as working just fine.

Right now i am using 4.5.1 and i didn't even see any RRs.

So afaik, this RR introduced in a firmware update got fixed. So.... anyone else experience new issues with the latest qts, plz create a separate thread.

The only reason this thread exist, is because it was meant to cover the RR which i dubbed RR 4.4.1 (because it began with that firmware release). It was never explained what was the cause for these rrs. We only know for certain it was a bad firmware issue that affected some (not all users).

If possible this thread should be locked, because it's no longer relevant. Any new rrs that happens in the latest 4.5.1, needs a new separate thread.

And remember, RRs are not necessarily bad firmware. Most often it could be bad ram. So that is the first thing you should be checking. But with 4.4.1, there was a high chance it was the firmware causing the issue, which we discovered after extensive testing, and downgrading back to 4.3.6 or upgrading to 4.4.2 and 4.4.3, and there no RRs, which only occured after using 4.4.1 for some of us.
NAS

Network

Resources
Max1mizer
Starting out

Post by Max1mizer »

I can share my opinion.

Have TVS-671, bought around 2014-2015. It's sticked to APC 1500V and suddenly it started rebooting. Randomly once per 2 months, and till a moment where it couldn't even boot till the end. Weirdest thing was the fact that UPS was also shutting down. So removed UPS and put different power cables etc to normal power without UPS, guess what - same thing. Cleaned NAS from the dust, same thing.

So far I replaced power supply, which I bought some time ago, when first weird reboots started occurring, and so far UPS works, NAS was booted correctly and so far weird "reboots" have vanished. Looking at this power supply "Made in China" I have mixed feelings. I don't believe in a theory that NAS was working fine 5 years and suddenly RAM broke. RAM/HDD, CPU etc usually got broke on the beginning if later they work they'll work very long time (except HDDs of course), but I think when you'll start getting random reboots especially after couple of years I bet in 75% it'll be problems with power supply.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”