Best reconfig option

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
zaraki1311
New here

Best reconfig option

Post by zaraki1311 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:00 am

Hello,

I am looking to get a little bit of guidance and some recommendations on what to do with my raid group. I have a TS-1679u-RP loaded out with 16 4tb drives in raid 6 with 1 hot spare. Slowly I am starting to have issues with the drives as they are getting older so I am replacing them with 8tb drives as they fail. Being a naive person back when I setup this big raid group thinking it was the best option not realizing that all 16 drive would need to be replaced to get more storage.

Now that I have enough extra storage to pull everything off and rebuild the raid group I just want to see if there are recommendations as to how I should do it. I was thinking something like 4
4 drive raid 5 groups into one pool. I get that I would lose one more drives capacity but I should be able see capacity increases after swapping 4 drive in one group rather than 16 drives and in theory might have a little more protection. But I might be wrong which is why I am asking. Also I am not sure if it is possible to do this without having to blow everything away but if there is a way I would prefer doing that. I have also attached a screenshot of the storage overview page.

One last question but this might be for another thread, with the TS-1679u-RP do I have to stick to the rack mount expansion units or can I pick up something like a REXP-1000 Pro that has the SAS connection on it?

If more info is needed to help make a recommendation please let me know. Thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

P3R
Guru

Re: Best reconfig option

Post by P3R » Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:58 am

zaraki1311 wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:00 am
I was thinking something like 4
4 drive raid 5 groups into one pool. I get that I would lose one more drives capacity but I should be able see capacity increases after swapping 4 drive in one group rather than 16 drives and in theory might have a little more protection.
That would decrease your storage reliability significantly.

Even a single 4*8 TB RAID 5 is worse than a 15*8 TB RAID 6 array and with 4 RAID 5s in a pool everything is lost if either RAID 5 fail.

I would rather recommend 2 RAID 6 with 8*8 TB each or if you want even more smaller arrays, 3 RAID 6 with 5*8 TB each.

I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to your other questions. :cry:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”