872XT Non-Responsive After FW Update

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
JustinS1
Starting out

872XT Non-Responsive After FW Update

Post by JustinS1 »

Today I updated our 872XT that's been running great for the past six months, no issues. Updated to firmware 4.4.0.0979, and immediately noticed performance issues. Then I updated to 4.4.1.1031 hoping this would fix the issues. Now - accessing files via SMB or AFP is very slow, and sometimes impossible. Accessing the web interface is impossible - after typing in admin credentials the "Loading" page is the only thing I see. This happens on multiple computers. We have a backup unit that's working fine, no issues accessing files and the web interface loads instantly.

Any ideas?
JustinS1
Starting out

Re: 872XT Non-Responsive After FW Update

Post by JustinS1 »

Just rolled back to 4.4.0.0883 and I'm able to login again. Are there any known issues with the newer firmware?
JustinS1
Starting out

Post by JustinS1 »

Got to the office this morning and accessing files on the QNAP is extremely slow - disk speed test shows 11mb/s read and write. All the disks show a "good" status, and I've verified the network settings. I can still access our backup unit just fine at 700mb/s. I tried connecting to one of the 1gbe ports on the QNAP, but that still only yielded 11mb/s read/write. I can copy a large file (90GB) on FileStation in 34 seconds, so it seems this is only a network issue. Any ideas?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

my speeds are fine (951X) ...but as with all beta bugs..best to contact qnap to let them know
JustinS1
Starting out

Post by JustinS1 »

Thanks for the reply. This morning I think we've narrowed it down to the QNAP 10Gbe switch. Ports are working intermittently, and I am able to get full speed when connecting my TB3 laptop directly to the 10Gbe switch on the QNAP. The switch was purchased only six months ago.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi JustinS1
if you have a QNAP QSW-1208-8C switch, and you feel that it's flakey or not working properly, simply plug your computer with the 10G port directly into the 10G port of the TVS-872XT, and test it.
That will tell you in 2 seconds if the problem is the switch or the 10G port on the QNAP (or your 10G NIC).

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
JustinS1
Starting out

Post by JustinS1 »

Thanks Bob, we did that test and the issue is definitely the QNAP switch.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

yea - I have unfortunately seen about 3 bad QSW-1208-8C switches. I hope that QNAP comes out with a managed switch, like the Netgear XS708T, which is now only 50 bucks more on Amazon.
The TVS-872XT however is really fantastic.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”