Want to move System data to new SSD

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Mannix81
New here

Want to move System data to new SSD

Post by Mannix81 »

Hello, new to NAS and have been expanding the capacity of my TS-453Be over the Summer, which I have been using as a PLEX server. I started with a Single 10TB drive and later expanded with a second Single 10TB drive, dividing my media libraries between them. I thought I would invest in a third drive at a later date and upgrade my NAS to RAID 5 (assuming that is possible given my current configuration.)

However, I decided I also want to make my TS-453Be a Roon Core and run that on an SSD (for speed and to reduce drive noise.) While I guess I can install the Roon app on my new SSD if I want to, I'm not sure that matters if I don't migrate my System as well. My impression is that not being in a RAID configuration will simplify matters but I am not exactly sure what my options are. I also created my initial drive as a Thick volume, which may not have been the best way to go -- if I need to move all my data off and reformat, I'd rather do it now than later (I think I have just enough space on the second disk and random external HDs to pull it off.) It's also important for me to save my PLEX data in the move as well.

Please let me know if I'm on the right track or if I am in want of a paddle. Thanks.
P3R
Guru

Re: Want to move System data to new SSD

Post by P3R »

Mannix81 wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:30 pm I started with a Single 10TB drive and later expanded with a second Single 10TB drive, dividing my media libraries between them. I thought I would invest in a third drive at a later date and upgrade my NAS to RAID 5 (assuming that is possible given my current configuration.)
Migration to RAID 5 retaining the data is only possible from ONE single disk, never multiple single disks.
However, I decided I also want to make my TS-453Be a Roon Core and run that on an SSD (for speed and to reduce drive noise.)
Mechanical disks won't spin down while the SSD is active if that's what you think so noise reduction will be limited.

Yes the SSD will be faster. Are you sure a mechanical disk is a bottleneck?
While I guess I can install the Roon app on my new SSD if I want to, I'm not sure that matters if I don't migrate my System as well.
Having the system on a non-redundant disk isn't what I would recommend.
My impression is that not being in a RAID configuration will simplify matters but I am not exactly sure what my options are.
When (not if) your disks start failing you'll understand why all experienced administrators recommend using RAID 1 or higher on a NAS.

Not using RAID may mean slightly less regular administrative maintenance but will lead to a lot of work down the line when it fail.
I also created my initial drive as a Thick volume, which may not have been the best way to go -- if I need to move all my data off and reformat, I'd rather do it now than later (I think I have just enough space on the second disk and random external HDs to pull it off.)
It depends. If it's a separate pool and thick volume on each disk, then at least the first one can be migrated into RAID 5. If it's a single pool with a thick volume spread over the two single disks then you've painted yourself into a corner and there's no way out of there without deleting everything and starting from scratch.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Mannix81
New here

Re: Want to move System data to new SSD

Post by Mannix81 »

Thank you for the response. It looks like I should just hold off until I can get a third 10GB disk in a few months, move the data off my second disk and reformat, then migrate to a RAID 5 (only the first drive is a Thick volume so I sound okay on that front.) I will probably invest in a dedicated Roon Core in the future, I just wanted to get the current Core off my laptop until then. I occasionally get songs skipping, which could just as easily be the network, but I was hoping the SSD might resolve that -- I'll move my music library there to see if it makes a difference in the interim. Thanks again.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”