HDD Replaced - RAID won't rebuild

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: HDD Replaced - RAID won't rebuild

Post by dolbyman »

no need to reply ...signature seo spam..nothing else

will be removed asap
jacobite1
Easy as a breeze

Post by jacobite1 »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:21 pm no need to reply ...signature seo spam..nothing else

will be removed asap
Oh yeah, hadn't even noticed - thanks.
TVS-872XT-i5-16GB with 6*ST12000VNZ008 in RAID 6.
Backed up to a stack of a half dozen 'cold' external 12TB and 8TB HDDs - please back up your data, RAID is not the same as a backup!

Formerly TVS-463 with 4*WD60EFRX in RAID5, planning to reuse as an additional backup destination in the new year.
All protected by an APC SMT750VA UPS - protect your NAS from bad power!
delb0y
New here

Post by delb0y »

RdP wrote: Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:33 pm I have exactly the same issue. Bought already two new identical disk as the one that was corrupted, but still the same issue.

The new swapped disk has the status no member.....

Please help because the volume is in degraded mode and another disks of the raid set is having issue too allready

I'm using a TS-453A, RAID5 of 4 disks in 1 volume
I have the same issue, or very similar, with a TS-659 Pro+, firmware 4.2.6.

One drive in a RAID6 array failed. Red status light and occasional beeps. Could not login to admin console.

I replaced the drive with an identical HDD from the same batch that I used for the rest of the array. Exactly as described in the manual.

Red light blinking. All disk lights however were green. After a few hours the NAS rebooted itself and only then could I login to the admin console. Red light still blinking.

There was an error message advising me to run a disk check on the array. On completion this put the device into "degraded mode".

New drive status is shown as "good". Ran a bad blocks test on the new drive, made no difference. Ran a complete disk test on the new drive, no errors. There appears to be nothing wrong with the new HDD.

Device still in degraded mode and even after removing and reinstalling the HDD, it refuses to add the new drive to the array.

Any tips?
martinbrunnberg
Starting out

Post by martinbrunnberg »

In my case it turned out to be faulty hdd-controlling hardware. So I had to buy a brand new NAS....😕
devileo
First post

Post by devileo »

I have the same issue and I following the insturciton here
https://www.hyllander.org/content/qnap- ... place-disk

And the NAS finish rebuild and back to normal.
thebarefooter
New here

Post by thebarefooter »

This worked for me, apparently my array was frozen. Give it a try: https://serverfault.com/questions/67663 ... es-to-sync

Snippet:
For some (currently unknown) reason, the RAID state became frozen. The winning command to figure this out is cat /sys/block/md0/md/sync_action:

root@galaxy:~# cat /sys/block/md0/md/sync_action
frozen
Simply put, that is why it was not using the available spares. All my hair is gone at the cost of a simple cat command!

So, just unfreeze the array:

root@galaxy:~# echo idle > /sys/block/md0/md/sync_action

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”