RAID1 to single disk

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
robbie303
Starting out

Re: RAID1 to single disk

Post by robbie303 »

Dear All, thank you for sharing this with everybody.
I do need a little bit of help though :).
How exactly do I get the content of /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/raid.conf ?
I logged in on the QNAP with WinSCP, but I do not see that directory there.....
ganekogorta
Getting the hang of things

RAID1 to single disk

Post by ganekogorta »

robbie303 wrote:Dear All, thank you for sharing this with everybody.
I do need a little bit of help though :).
How exactly do I get the content of /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/raid.conf ?
I logged in on the QNAP with WinSCP, but I do not see that directory there.....
The .config is hidden. I think you can see it using ctrl+alt+h

Agur eta ondo ibilli
robbie303
Starting out

Post by robbie303 »

Thanks ganekogorta.
I think I managed to do it..... :)
A few tips for the people also want to do it:
- In the QNAP, you need to enable ssh and Telnet? communication first (in the control panel)
- in WINSCP, use sftp, not ftp.
- "mdadm /dev/md1 --remove /dev/sda3" did not work in my case, I got an error that the disk already was removed or so.......

Nevertheless, I think it worked........
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

robbie303 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:37 am - In the QNAP, you need to enable ssh and Telnet? communication first (in the control panel)
SSH yes, Telnet no. SSH is safer so use that and always keep Telnet disabled.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
robbie303
Starting out

Post by robbie303 »

Thanks P3R.
Do you know what is the procedure to upgrade my 10TB disk to my 16TB disk ?
I want to stay in Single disk mode and keep all my apps and settings.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

robbie303 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:43 pm Do you know what is the procedure to upgrade my 10TB disk to my 16TB disk ?
I'm afraid that I've read your thread about it and found nothing to add that hadn't been covered already. :cry:

I just wanted to clarify the advice you gave here.
As there is no straight forward way to do that it's unfortunately easier said than done. That's the reason all experienced administrators (including me) recommend using a redundant disk configuration for the system volume. That will make it possible to do storage expansions easily while retaining both configuration and data and have the system available despite single disk failures but that convenience have a significant price tag. I'm sorry. :(
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ganekogorta

RAID1 to single disk

Post by ganekogorta »

robbie303 wrote:Thanks P3R.
Do you know what is the procedure to upgrade my 10TB disk to my 16TB disk ?
Hi
In the spanish forum of qnap I have explain it
https://www.qnapclub.es/showthread.php? ... 6#pid14026

Un saludo

Agur eta ondo ibilli
psidrj
New here

Post by psidrj »

Hi,
I found this post very relevant, but mainly out of curiosity, I ask the following:

To achieve the same objectives mentioned above, if another computer is available, I ask if it would be plausible (and safer) to shut down NAS, remove the disk, put it in the computer, along with the new disk, clone (with DD, clonezila, or any other tool), install the new disk on the NAS, and then expand the partition size.

Best regards
---------------------------------------
Hola,
Encontré esta publicación muy relevante, pero principalmente por curiosidad, pregunto lo siguiente:

Para lograr los mismos objetivos mencionados anteriormente, si hay otra computadora disponible, pregunto si sería plausible (y más seguro) apagar el NAS, quitar el disco, ponerlo en la computadora, junto con el nuevo disco, clonar (con DD, clonezila o cualquier otra herramienta), instale el nuevo disco en el NAS y luego amplíe el tamaño de la partición.

Atentamente
--------------------------------
ja666
Know my way around

Post by ja666 »

psidrj wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:20 amclone (with DD, clonezila, or any other tool), install the new disk on the NAS, and then expand the partition size.
Nice as it sounds, but It doesn't work with QNAP (expanding partition size of externally cloned disk).
ganekogorta

Post by ganekogorta »

psidrj wrote:Hi,
I found this post very relevant, but mainly out of curiosity, I ask the following:

To achieve the same objectives mentioned above, if another computer is available, I ask if it would be plausible (and safer) to shut down NAS, remove the disk, put it in the computer, along with the new disk, clone (with DD, clonezila, or any other tool), install the new disk on the NAS, and then expand the partition size.

Best regards
Hi
Your idea seems to be correct. But i think there is a little problem. The serial numbers of the disks are in the file that contains the configuration. when you clone the disk, the serial number remains and doesn’t change. I’m not sure that doing a clone it will work.

I prefer that the machine makes the clone.
In the initial situation, there are two disks (A and B). Remove (phisical extraction) one of then (for example the B).
Put in a safe place this disk, it contains all.
Insert the new disk (C) into the position of the removed disk(B). Wait. The nas begins the sincronization of the raid.
Try to do the resizing. Image
If you get it, congratulations.

But if you don’t get. Switch off the nas. Remove disk A and C. Insert the disk B and switch on the nas. All of your data and configuration are working, but the raid1 is degraded. Insert one CLEAN disk in A bay. The nas rebuild the raid1 and you are in the initial state.

Excuseme for mi terrible English Image
psidrj wrote:
---------------------------------------
Hola,
Encontré esta publicación muy relevante, pero principalmente por curiosidad, pregunto lo siguiente:

Para lograr los mismos objetivos mencionados anteriormente, si hay otra computadora disponible, pregunto si sería plausible (y más seguro) apagar el NAS, quitar el disco, ponerlo en la computadora, junto con el nuevo disco, clonar (con DD, clonezila o cualquier otra herramienta), instale el nuevo disco en el NAS y luego amplíe el tamaño de la partición.

Atentamente
--------------------------------
psidrj wrote: Hola
Escribo en español (lengua materna) ya que lo has hecho también.

Tu idea perece buena, pero no estoy seguro que funcione un clonado físico. Hay un archivo de configuración del raid que contiene los números de serie. Podemos tener problemas si al iniciar la nas, uno de los miembros no aparece y en cambio aparece otro disco.

Yo prefiero que la nas haga el trabajo.
Retiras un disco con la nas funcionando. Se pondrá en raid1 en modo degradado. Lo guardas en sitio seguro.
Introduce el nuevo disco y la nas reconstruirá el raid. Prueba a redimensionar.

Si lo haces mal, para volver a la situación inicial. Apaga la nas, retiras los discos. Introduces el que retiraste al inicio (en la misma bahía). Inicia la nas y tendrás todo operativo con el raid en modo degradado. Introduces un disco limpio de particiones en la bahía libre y la nas reconstruirá el raid1. Así habrás llegado a la posición de inicio.

Un saludo

Agur eta ondo ibilli

Mon (TS-469Pro, TVS-673, QBoat Sunny y TS-453Be)
psidrj
New here

Post by psidrj »

Ok, Thanks.
HD UUID would be the problem. Make sense.
hip
New here

Post by hip »

Great! Work smoothly!
hip
New here

Post by hip »

Successfully migrated single disk to single disk, passing through RAID1.
Howerever, I'm getting this warning after each startup:

System Storage & Snapshots RAID Group [Storage & Snapshots] Replaced disk "Host: Disk 1". Legacy volume: [RAID1 Disk Volume Host Drive: 1], Old WWN: 50014EE2BCDFD951, New WWN: 5000C500C77FBC24.

This is drive is the system drive, with a thin volume and snapshots enabled.

Any clue on how to solve this warning?
Can this be due to snapshots?

Thanks,
Antonio
ganekogorta

RAID1 to single disk

Post by ganekogorta »

Hi
Have you edited the cfg file and written the new serial disk?

Un saludo

Agur eta ondo ibilli

Mon (TS-469Pro, TVS-673, QBoat Sunny y TS-453Be)
Last edited by ganekogorta on Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hip
New here

Post by hip »

Thanks ganekogorta. My changes where not properly saved. Changed again the raid.conf file and that's ok. No warnings!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”