Disk Caching for Better Performance on Davinci Resolve

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
danmanw
New here

Disk Caching for Better Performance on Davinci Resolve

Post by danmanw »

So I've seen a few posts regarding Disk Caching and quite a few have said that there really isn't much of a performance boost for video editing. But I'm curious if it would help improve application speed when using DaVinci Resolve since it uses a Database system for its project management? I've been experiencing some slowness with Resolve as I have multiple users interacting on a shared database hosted on my QNAP TVS 1282T3. Currently 7 of the 8 HHD bays are filled with 8TB 7200 hard drives (eventually will fill the last one). And I have 4 slots available for SSD, which I've been thinking about using for disk caching. Thoughts or recommendations? We edit on a 2017 iMac, a 2019 Macbook Pro, and a custom PC, all attached with either Thunderbolt 3 or 10GB ethernet. Thanks!
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: Disk Caching for Better Performance on Davinci Resolve

Post by Toxic17 »

Bob Zelin is the man to tell you about QNAP and Video Editing:)

http://www.bobzelin.com/qnap-frequently-asked-questions

http://www.bobzelin.com/how-our-san-works

Bob, over to you......
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

Hi -
I build QNAP systems for DaVinci Resolve all the time, and I use the PostgreSQL database that can be downloaded from the QNAP App Store all the time. It works great.
You have 3 client computers. So are they all going into a 10G switch, and the QNAP 10G port on the TVS-1282T3 connects to the 10G port as well ? What resolution or codecs are you working with -
ProRes, BRAW ?
You should have put eight matching drives into the TVS-1282T3 day 1, and created a single static volume (RAID 5 or RAID 6). You need Jumbo Frames enabled on your QNAP 10G port, in the switch (if you are using a Netgear XS series - the QNAP switch defaults to MTU9000) - and of course, your PC and Mac 10G adaptors. On your Mac's, you need SMB Signing disabled if you are running macOS 10.13.3 or later.

The four SSD's in the TVS-1282T3 will do nothing for you, if you setup caching. It will not increase your performance.

This all works very well. I would need more details on your system, to further answer your questions. You have not stated what speeds you are getting from client to QNAP. Because you are using
Resolve, I assume you have at least Blackmagic Disk Speed test on all your computers, to determine this.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
danmanw
New here

Post by danmanw »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the tips! So I just tested my speeds now as I hadn't done so before. On my iMac connected via Thunderbolt 3, I'm getting around 733 mb/s write and 1500 mb/s read.

Regarding how I'm connecting to the QNAP, my PC is connected via 10G port and the two Mac computers are connected via Thunderbolt 3. You recommend running all of them through 10G? Also, we are editing 4k BRAW files and 4K H.264.

Regarding the hard drives, I knew from the beginning that having 8 would maximize performance, but it was a matter of budget where I started with 5, then added 2 more, and if it will help performance, I can add an 8th drive. It is formatted in a single static volume with RAID 6.

Never heard of Jumbo Frames, so I'll investigate into this.

Thank you for advice regarding the SSDs.
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

no one can edit native h.264 files. You have to transcode these or you will get stuttering video. That's why programs like Adobe Media Encoder, Apple Compressor, and Edit Ready (and others) exist.
BRAW - no problem. You should be very happy with 733MB/sec W and 1500 MB/sec READ. Jumbo Frames will work for your 10G PC, but do nothing for your Thunderbolt connections - they are fast enough anyway right now.

Let me be clear - if you have Go Pro or DJI drone footage that is generating MP4 h.264 files - NO EDIT SOFTWARE is going to edit this natively without struggling. These are highly compressed files, that need to be transcoded, if you want to have a smooth editing experience.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I never had any issues back in my (Sony) Vegas editing days ... h264 (AVCHD) with 60p (I encoded it to 30p , just dropping every other frame, no interpolation)

I guess to have a smooth cutting experience, the program did some clever temp re-encodes (all I-Frame maybe?) of the transition spots ?

And that was on a dinky Core2Duo laptop
Mafox_
New here

Post by Mafox_ »

Bob Zelin wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:32 pm no one can edit native h.264 files. You have to transcode these or you will get stuttering video. That's why programs like Adobe Media Encoder, Apple Compressor, and Edit Ready (and others) exist.
BRAW - no problem. You should be very happy with 733MB/sec W and 1500 MB/sec READ. Jumbo Frames will work for your 10G PC, but do nothing for your Thunderbolt connections - they are fast enough anyway right now.

Let me be clear - if you have Go Pro or DJI drone footage that is generating MP4 h.264 files - NO EDIT SOFTWARE is going to edit this natively without struggling. These are highly compressed files, that need to be transcoded, if you want to have a smooth editing experience.

Bob Zelin
unless you use an iPad Pro - then you can edit even H265 natively;) Few people know about it ... it's strange that Apple does not advertise in this way
I know, this is a light OT - if the connection speed is sufficient, it is not about the server itself, but also about the computer's performance
Here is an iPad Pro Video Editing example, H265 - works the same https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb4c1v7wBu4
or "multicam" 4K from different cameras and dron - everything with colorgrading and filters..realtime - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTMTE7Pgevo

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”