configuration questions QNAP TS-231

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Flinx
Starting out

configuration questions QNAP TS-231

Post by Flinx »

I am having network issues. Slow transfers and not much help from QNAP.

What is the bandwidth_record.conf file used for?

Is atime enabled on my raid1 and how can I disable it if it is?

What could be throttling my network connection on the qnap to 15MBps (megabytes)?

I only have speed problems on my network with the QNAP, and another cheap Verbatim NAS box.

I have tried:
several weeks ago I redid the whole unit raid and all for a different issue.
I tried different cables and made sure they were cat6.
I changed switches (both gigabit)
I connected directly to the unit through ethernet.
I change the smb settings several times and tested every time, never getting more than 15MBps.
I tried NFS but could not get that to work right to test it.
I tried FTP and it was slower,
I tried transferring from the filestation app in the browser, that was almost 3 times faster but not convenient.
I tried configuring my network card and the settings on the QNAP to use auto negotiate and I tried forcing 1 gigabit (no change).
I checked every setting on my network card and tested after changing each one (no change in speed noted).
I tested copying from the QNAP using different computers over gigabit, all get the same speed from the QNAP 15MBps.
I tried copying from other computers to my computer and all those devices copy at speeds over 75MBps usually around 100MBps.
I verified the ethernet speed settings using putty and the console.
I checked and tested MTU my computers and the QNAP are set to 1500. Jumbo frames did not help.
I then tried all these things with the other NIC on the QNAP with the same results.
Everything points to the QNAP network card being locked to 120 megabits per second (an unusual speed).
dolbyman
Guru

Re: configuration questions QNAP TS-231

Post by dolbyman »

Flinx wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:14 pm I only have speed problems on my network with the QNAP, and another cheap Verbatim NAS box.
So if your speed issues are not limited to the QNAP box, all the config changes are probably not needed as you have a network issue
Flinx
Starting out

Post by Flinx »

not a network issue.
Flinx
Starting out

Post by Flinx »

So. after opening a ticket with qnap 2 months ago and dealing with their SLOW response times I finally got a resolution to my problem.

The last thing they asked me to do was to disable server signing. No explanation of what exactly they were referring to, no information on where to find this setting. nothing useful.

I spent a couple of hours googling how to disable server signing on a qnap with nothing useful being found. I tried editing the smb.conf (this appears to be where the setting is), but the qnap changed my settings back upon a reboot of the server.

after much more googling I kept finding references to server signing with windows, which led me to try something.

My qnap was set as an Active directory domain controller, I did that because I kept having problems getting access to my own files.

I turned off AD domain controller and of course that broke access to my files.

I also had to disable Windows ACL support since I could not access my files, take ownership of them or anything, I enabled Advanced Folder Permissions.

I did manage to join the qnap to the domain, something that never worked before. I do not know why it is working now.

I was then able to set permissions of my files in the qnap webpage and finally access them.

I noted that server signing is now disabled in the smb.conf file (not by me).

I tested copying files and wow look at that transfer rates of about 60MBps much better than 12.5MBps.

It only took over 2 months and countless hours googling the issue. Was it server signing :?: was it my qnap being a domain controller

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”