raid/volume expansion

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
jstubbs
New here

raid/volume expansion

Post by jstubbs »

Sorry, I posted my original question in the hardware/software forum. More appropriate here.

Hello All,

This is the first time I've had to seek help with our QNAP TS-659 (originally branded as a Cisco NSS 326). It has ran flawlessly for years. However in the last 5 weeks, I've had three disks fail or start to fail. With the third alert about another disk starting to fail, I had the staff purchase replacement disks for the unit. 4 TB disks. Of course, that means, I've run into the 16 TB expansion/migration volume limitation. Searching for a solution, so that I can take advantage of all 24 TB of storage, I found this response by @P3R to another poster's question:

viewtopic.php?f=182&t=129971&p=596804&h ... 59#p596804

I have two good backups, so not worried about losing data. My question is, do I have to reset the NAS unit OR just delete the existing volume and then recreate it as a 24 TB volume, and then pull the data from the backups back into the "Public" folder???

Sorry for the newby questions, but "measure twice, cut once".

Thx in advance for any advice!!
dolbyman
Guru

Re: raid/volume expansion

Post by dolbyman »

with 3 faulty disks..you are looking at a full raid failure on rebuild anyways..so just go and create a new volume from scratch (as you would have to anyways to get around the 16TB limit)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”