Current Setup Help

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Diablozoe
Starting out

Current Setup Help

Post by Diablozoe »

Hello
In an earlier post I asked about which raid setup I should use. All questions were answered and the information was helpful. My NAS understanding at the time I set it up was basically I didn't understand. I am using a TVS-671, this is just for streaming movies as movies get bigger more space is needed. When I set it up I had just one disk so I think its setup as raid 1. And then I added another HDD, I think I set it up as a volume LUN and a storage pool, so my question is can I just keep expanding the pool? There are 3 disks in there now a 3tb a 6tb and a 10tb and its showing total space free as 17tb. It seems this is the only route to take with different sized HDD's.
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Current Setup Help

Post by storageman »

Sounds a mixed up mess. Why you need a LUN?
Post a screenshot from Storage Manager.
Sounds like you are not using RAID.
And why all different size drives, are they compatible too?
Diablozoe
Starting out

Post by Diablozoe »

Thanks for the reply. You are correct I am not using raid it seems no raid option will work for me. When I purchased the nas I didn't do my homework, I am only using it as a movie server. I thought I could just keep adding storage as I need it. With the current price of HDD's or when I purchased the nas they were real high. So I was not able to purchase the same drives at the same time. I am including the screen shot of my storage manager it shows each disk as its own raid group. I want to add a 12tb to then nas. I have been adding drives as I go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
storageman
Ask me anything

Post by storageman »

So what is your question?
I would back it all up and start again but this time use RAID.
If one drive fails currently you will lose everything
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

as I told you in the other thread, pooled single drives is a dead end .. and as storageman pointed out will make you lose all data on single drive failure

if anything, just use all drives as single with dedicated shares on them, depending on whatever streaming method you use, those shares can be added individually (Plex,Kodi,etc)
Diablozoe
Starting out

Post by Diablozoe »

could you explain the issue with pooled single drives? The other thread was about using raid which is not an option. Im not worried about loosing any of the movies. The nas sits at home and I work in another state. So I make it home about 3 months of the year. The nas is off during that period, ill turn it on when I come into town for a week. I understood the information you gave me in the thread about raid. And thank you.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you are afraid about losing the DATA, get 4 equal size drives and do external backups ... no fooling around like that
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Diablozoe wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:51 am ...so my question is can I just keep expanding the pool?
/.../
Im not worried about loosing any of the movies.
If you understand and is okay with that any single drive failure will cause complete data loss and force you to reinitialize the whole NAS completely from scratch then yes, you can just add more single disks to the pool and expand the volume up to within whatever limit the inode setting the volume tolerate (the default inode setting is 16 KB which give you a max volume size of 63.99 TB).

Every disk added increases the risks so you'll be accelerating towards the inevitable sad ending... :wink:
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

misread the worried .. I missed the "NOT" part
Diablozoe
Starting out

Post by Diablozoe »

ok thanks for all the info. I will at some point get the same drives. It would be nice if they cam down in price at some point.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”