JBOD issue

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
khappa
New here

JBOD issue

Post by khappa »

First of all, please don't even think about attacking me because of chosing JBOD for this use case. I need help, so I'm seeking for it and not to have a guru saying that RAID1, 5 ou 10 is better.

I had a TS-212P with two 2TB disks in JBOD. I added now a TS-412 that had 2 x 3TB disks also in JBOD. I've used RTRR to copy some files from one NAS to the other. Then, I've removed the two disks from TS-212P and placed them in TS-412, on the two remaining bays.

When I booted the TS-412, I had no logical volume active, had no available disk to create a new volume, but when checking the SMART, I have there the 4 disks appearing as Good. I have a warning saying "[Linear Disk Volume: Drive 3 4] RAID device is inactive" - btw Drive 3 and 4 were the starting disks on this TS-412. I've removed the added disks, and I still have no available logical volume.

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

JA
dolbyman
Guru

Re: JBOD issue

Post by dolbyman »

so you now have two sets of system disks from old CAT1 units ..that is probably the issue

NAS disks are not meant to be swapped around like in a simple disk enclosure

remove the drives again, see if they still work in your 212p ..if so get two new drives and add them to the 412(not sure if these old units can add additional disks to an existing jbod)..then transfer the data over via the network
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:41 am ...not sure if these old units can add additional disks to an existing jbod..
They can't.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
khappa
New here

Post by khappa »

dolbyman wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:41 am so you now have two sets of system disks from old CAT1 units ..that is probably the issue

NAS disks are not meant to be swapped around like in a simple disk enclosure

remove the drives again, see if they still work in your 212p ..if so get two new drives and add them to the 412(not sure if these old units can add additional disks to an existing jbod)..then transfer the data over via the network
Thanks for your feedback. I'll try to place the two disks in the 212P. Meanwhile, the two other disks that were in the 412 still don't appear available: no logical volume appears, the two disks are shown in SMART Disk, but nothing is available to set a new RAID. Any tip to turn the array active again?

Thank you!

JA
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

did you try to reboot the 412 with just the two original drives inserted ? (with old CAT1 units the disk position was also important)
khappa
New here

Post by khappa »

dolbyman wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:48 am did you try to reboot the 412 with just the two original drives inserted ? (with old CAT1 units the disk position was also important)
Hi,

I've just tried to reboot the 212P with the two original disks, it started a migration, the disks are shown also in SMART list in Good state, but no disk or logical volume is available.

Same with the 414, with the two original disks.
khappa
New here

Post by khappa »

Hi guys.

Thank you for your help. I've purchased a Synology and my QNAP problems have gone!

All the best.

K
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the disks worked in it ? (with intact data?)

did you start with two disk in spanning jbod?

did you also purchase a 10 year old syno model? (like the qnaps were)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”