Default shares not in a system drive. How?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
ginfonic
Starting out

Default shares not in a system drive. How?

Post by ginfonic »

Hi,
Just reinstalled QTS from scratch on my Qnap 882-BR to 2 SSD on RAID-1 (System volume). 8 HDDs are for data only.
New manual created shares are no probs because I can choose a volume on creating. But no way with the system ones.
The main issue with Multimedia folder created by Multimedia Console on system volume (also Download and Public ones, less important).
As I realized I can do nothing with a place these folders are located. But I need them to be only on data volume (not system). What should I do? Anyone has a solution?
1) To manually create the alternative folders: Media, Downloads, Pub etc. and forget about the defaults? Not pretty and maybe not good for multimedia engine.
2) To manually change a folder path to the shares in a file system as someone advised? As I heard i's not as simple and safe as it seems. Probs may occur.
3) Sym- or hardlinks to real folders with multimedia on the data volume located in the root of a default multimedia share located on the system volume.
4) Something else?
What do you think?
P3R
Guru

Re: Default shares not in a system drive. How?

Post by P3R »

I do #1. The less I modify, the less will break in the future. I don't use the NAS multimedia features as I prefer not to complicate my data storage and possibly cause instability. Instead I use multimedia players that are easy to upgrade or replace in the future to access plain data over the network.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ginfonic
Starting out

Post by ginfonic »

P3R wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 8:42 am I don't use the NAS multimedia features...
Instead I use multimedia players...
My primary video server is Plex. But sometimes I have to use dnla from Qnap to play files Plex has problems to play. For example movies (not series) with more than 1 part.
So it would be great to remain Qnap multimedia services if it's possible.

By the way now enabled Multimedia console and having got new shares Multimedia and Download how can I remove these shares back?
Disabling console does nothing, the shares are still here.
The option to restore default shares should mean they can be removed, but how?..
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

ginfonic wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:18 pm The option to restore default shares should mean they can be removed, but how?..
As far as I know that feature is to restore the default shares if you have reestablished a system volume following a loss of the original system volume.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ginfonic
Starting out

Post by ginfonic »

P3R wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:59 pm As far as I know that feature is to restore the default shares if you have reestablished a system volume following a loss of the original system volume.
Everything turns out more simple. I disabled Multimedia console and voila, Multimedia and Download default shares became usual ones.
Now I can remove them, rename and WOW replace to another volume!!!
That what I did. Now they are on Data volume as I want. But Multimedia console is disabled.
Still have no idea what would be if I enabled it back...
Gonna try later and let you know.
ginfonic
Starting out

Post by ginfonic »

Ok folks. Tried to re-enable multimedia services and everything crushed. The shares Multimedia and Download became system again.
And changed their place to System vol from Data vol I placed them before. So there's no miracle.
They was empty so I don't know what would be if there were any files on them. Would it try to replace all the files inside from data to system volume (yep 16 Tb of video to 500 Gb system SSD) or just eras all the files on the share and recreate it naked. Have no idea and honestly don't wanna try.
I better remove multimedia console at all.

PS Seems like I can't remove Multimedia Console. So will be live with it without noticing.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”