Notifications gone mad!! Error = Default Gateway "Adapter 1" disconnected.

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
kevinashaw
Starting out

Notifications gone mad!! Error = Default Gateway "Adapter 1" disconnected.

Post by kevinashaw »

This morning I identified an ethernet connectivity issue to my QNAP TS-453-Pro. I believe the network connection to the NAS was possibly offline for 2-3 hours.
Upon resolving this issue, I started getting email notifications...and more....and more....and more. I have now received 800+ emails (now 2000+) and they are still coming!
The time stamps in the message show they are being sent every 2-3 seconds. Each internal time stamp is current with the current time, so they are being generated in real time and don't seem to be queued.
Here is an example (screen shot attached):

Code: Select all

Severity: Warning
Date/Time: 2020/04/19 14:37:37
App Name: Network & Virtual Switch
Category: Infrastructure
Message: [Network & Virtual Switch] Default Gateway "Adapter 1" disconnected.
The error message itself is odd, since I am currently logged in to the web interface console through that interface, so I know that is is working.
I have attached and image of the Network Interface Console for the Virtual Switch and all seems good.
I have turned off the Email Notification option for "Network & Virtual Switch".
I have removed my SMTP email service from the notification manager.
I have rebooted the system.
I have updated the firmware. But they keep coming.
My only option at this point is to take the machine off line.
Okay, the email messages have just stopped, but the notifications are still going.
In the Notification Center a new Warning is being logged every 2-3 seconds, but is now accompanied with a notice that the notification failed to send. I assume this because I removed the SMTP information.
Actually I see that google has shut down my email account for the day for exceeding the maximum allowed outgoing messages. AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Does anyone have any idea on why the Virtual Interface is unhappy?
And why the message would be logged unendingly...every 2-3 seconds? Certainly there should be a limiter on messages.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Shaw
TS453-Pro / 4x 8TB / RAID5
TS453DU-RP / 4x 10TB / RAID5
rabhman
New here

Re: Notifications gone mad!! Error = Default Gateway "Adapter 1" disconnected.

Post by rabhman »

Did you ever resolve this? Rather infuriatingly I got the same issue, after an internet disconnect earlier today, just hundreds of emails coming through till I disabled the notification. Similarly restarting and applying firmware update didn't resolve the issue.
kevinashaw
Starting out

Post by kevinashaw »

I never figured out a fix. It seemed to go away the next day. Of course my gmail account was locked for 24 hours because of it. It seems to be some sort of QNAP bug when it looses a connection. The problem is that it queues hundreds or thousand of messages and there is no simple way to clear the queue.
Kevin Shaw
TS453-Pro / 4x 8TB / RAID5
TS453DU-RP / 4x 10TB / RAID5
rabhman
New here

Post by rabhman »

Switching off the email notification capability and then re-enabling it made mine go away. I guess our only hope is that it gets fixed in a later update.
rabhman
New here

Post by rabhman »

kevinashaw wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:00 am I never figured out a fix. It seemed to go away the next day. Of course my gmail account was locked for 24 hours because of it. It seems to be some sort of QNAP bug when it looses a connection. The problem is that it queues hundreds or thousand of messages and there is no simple way to clear the queue.
Thanks for the update.
whistlerdan
Starting out

Post by whistlerdan »

I have this on a 472XT. I've had it for months, talked with support and spent days debugging it to no avail.

In the end I created a filter in the notification system so that it ignores these specific warnings.

And strangely, even though it says adapter 1 gets disconnected all the time, it seems to be a false warning. I haven't actually had a single issue where I have seen that I actually cannot connect to the device. And if there are file transfers from the device when the warning goes off, I don't seem to get any copy failures or anything like that. So I'm pretty confident there is no disconnection.
oakarts
First post

Post by oakarts »

I updated to the 4.5.2 and now getting this message every 10 seconds. Was not happening before.
meremortal
Starting out

Post by meremortal »

I just finshed setting up and installed a 472XT and have the exact same issue. Brand new EVERYTHING. New QNAP, updated to latest firmware/OS, new drives, new SSDs for caching speed and a new thunderbolt port. It's infurating. Literally purchased the SINGLE reason of THUNDERBOLT and the damned thing does this...WTF QNAP... FIX IT! Thousands of dollars. I'm ** as it's not fit for purpose. Like buying a new car and the oil warning light is constantly coming on. Drives you nuts.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

no need to dig up old threads .. QNAP does not come here .. open a ticket

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”