Upgrading HDD to larger capacity

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
BlueSkye
Know my way around

Re: Upgrading HDD to larger capacity

Post by BlueSkye »

No, I never lost the connection. That may have been coincidental. It's worth trying a hard, power off reset. Is you data backed up? If it isn't I'd seek more expertise here.
TS-459 PRO II, TS-879 PRO x 2, TS-831X and TS-1685
iron_black_belt
New here

Post by iron_black_belt »

yep, that made me suspicious, too.

I have external USB drive and cloud backups - it's not the data, just the time (around another week) for another new set-up and initial backups since the external backups are not recognized as identical after rebuild, unfortunately ... maybe the handling of external drives compared to internal drives by qts

btw, shipment tracking just announced that the 2nd WD red 4 TB arrived, so I will (desperately and hopefully) wait the full 170 hrs until tomorrow, then do a hard reset hoping to see the system again, and if not, build a new 4 TB RAID1 and system from scratch X(
BlueSkye
Know my way around

Post by BlueSkye »

Best of luck to you!
d_rotcod
New here

Post by d_rotcod »

Well, having the server (qnap ts659 pro ii @ qts 4.2.6) back including file and email access means I can switch to my own account d_rotcod from iron_black_belt ;-)

In the end, second try went better but still failed. I am up from 3 TB / 1.5 TB emergency backup RAID1 to the intended 4 TB / 4 TB RAID 1. The exchange of drives went smoothly. The capacity increase always failed just within the first 2 seconds - so waiting 7 days the first time was 6 days 23 hrs 58 secs waste of time X(

The magic was to stop my Xeams mail server manually. It is running based on java from the app store but Xeams was only formerly part of the official apps - now it is installed manually and obviously this process is not stopped by the system when the capacity increase procedure is started.

The capacity increase from 1.5 TB to the full 4 TB took approximately 14 hrs - the exchange of the drives had different durations but around the same time - so overnight execution of the various steps is a good advise.

There seems to be a bug in the calculation of the value for the finished percentage of the capacity increase process - the dashboard always showed a value 2x of the storage manager - the second one seems to be wrong

Now, I am looking forward to completing year 9 of 24/7 operation of this little but fiercely brave running qnap product - seems nothing can stop it ;-) 2 thumbs up for amazing stable performance even when the qnap support tells me that they do not support anything anymore because of eol status but recommend to buy a new device - NO, thanks 8) :lol:
BlueSkye
Know my way around

Post by BlueSkye »

Well done! Good things come to those who wait (and never quit)!
d_rotcod
New here

Post by d_rotcod »

hmmm, I had the crazy and in the end bad idea to use the emergency 3 TB disk from the intermediate RAID1 set-up to replace an old Samsung 2 TB that is running for more than 10 years now in this same qnap.

Unfortunately, after ejecting the 2 TB disk and replacing it with the 3 TB one, this disk in bay 5 (externally ntfs formatted to be safe :? :shock: ) kicked the disk in bay 1 out of the RAID1, took its place (the RAID1 was no longer named Disk 1 2 but Disk 2 5) and failed as 3 TB HDD since the RAID1 was expanded to the 4 TB size of the new HDDs.

I pulled the disk in bay 5 again, re-insert the old 2 TB, waited 36 hrs for the rebuild from the degraded mode and I am still resynching backups.... the 3 TB is now an external backup disk :cry:
Conger
First post

Post by Conger »

Good,

I purchased 4 new 6TB disks (model WD60EFAX) to put in my Qnap TS-459 which had 4 disks of 3TB each,
they were all placed and synchronized, however now that I want to do the upgrade, it says that it only accepts a maximum of 16TB, and 16767.09 TB appears in total, it does not let me do this procedure, how can I update my volume?.

Thank you for your help,
conger

ps: I have the disks in raid 5
BlueSkye
Know my way around

Post by BlueSkye »

4 TB may be the disk size limit that this NAS can hold but I am not exactly sure. I know I tried to max mine out and ended up with four (4) 4TB in RAID5.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

* topic locked to prevent further necroposting *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”