Best approach to expanding TS932X

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
RobAinscough
Getting the hang of things

Best approach to expanding TS932X

Post by RobAinscough »

I currently have a TS932X (firmware 4.4.3.1354) with 5X 4TB WD RED NAS drives (RAID Group 1) and 4X 512GB SSDs (RAID Group 2).

I have a Thick Volume - 1 storage pool - 8.74TB used out of 15.21TB free.

I'm looking to replace the 5X 4TB WD RED NAS drives with 5X 8TB WD RED NAS drives. I was thinking the best way to approach this is to simply pull one 4TB drive out (hot swap) and replace it with an 8TB drive and let the TS932X rebuild volume ... repeat this for each 4TB drive. Once all 5 drives are replaced and volume is sync, I'll expand the pool.

Does this seem like a good approach?

Cheers, Rob.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Best approach to expanding TS932X

Post by dolbyman »

that should work, but there is also a process documented in the manual and many many times discussed in the forum called "replace one by one"
replaceobo.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RobAinscough
Getting the hang of things

Re: Best approach to expanding TS932X

Post by RobAinscough »

Took me a while to get back to this thread, but thank you for pointing out the replace one by one process. Super easy to perform, but does take A LONG time. I eventually got there upgrading 5X 4TB drives to 5X 10TB drives ... took about 7 hours per drive rebuild process and then once all 5 drives were done, another 20 hours to expand capacity.

So if anyone else is using this process, give yourself about 1 week to complete the expansion.

Cheers, Rob.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”