Smart values for HGST/wd red

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
vodka
New here

Smart values for HGST/wd red

Post by vodka »

Hello, I've started investigating properly some of the values only now that my attention was drawn to them (viewtopic.php?p=760527#p760527 - sadly I am able to perform sysadmin duties only when something go wrong :( ).

I've noticed two strange things:
- even if I've got some helium based drives (HGST Ultrastar He 10) and some that aren't (WD red WD100EFAX) in the web interface the SMART attribute with ID #22 is listed for both...I am doing a test via shell (/sbin/get_hd_smartinfo) but am still curious: is there some sort of "alignment" of the attributes across different disks? Where does the value came from for the non helium disks? (the raw values is always 100). This seems fishy to me...

- load_cycle_count power-off_retract_count are always equal and they are somewhat high (considering what I see in other posts)...not as high as googling around I see for some old wd green on linux that had a parking-timer issue but still higher than power_cycle_count...I am not being able to find information about why these should be the same on some disks (but found examples of HGST having the same numbers in this forum), does anyone have any pointer?

dolbyman
Guru

Re: Smart values for HGST/wd red

Post by dolbyman »

what does SMART ID22 say via GUI ? .. I have 6x Ironwolf Pro and 2x SSD ID22 is nowhere to be seen

load cycle is low on my drives (8 months runtime so far, unless it increases in the 1k or 10k range .. you should be fine
vodka
New here

Post by vodka »

pwhat does SMART ID22 say via GUI ? .. I have 6x Ironwolf Pro and 2x SSD ID22 is nowhere to be seen
It's 100 for all disks. The smart launched via /sbin/get_hd_smartinfo did not finish in two days, will, I killed it, will now try to see if I used it wrongly....

load cycle sadly is in the ~1k for the majority of disks...
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

load cycle in 1k ist still fine

green drives (wrong disk for nas use) without modified load cycle behavior were in the 10k's after only a few months ..so all good
vodka
New here

Post by vodka »

Thanks. I know greens are not suitable for NAS, I cited that issue cause I'm not sure why these HGST/WD Red should have these relatively high numbers vs other disks in other NAS (synology) with similar (or even less intense) usages and I thought it could be something disk specific (considering the two identical values).

I'll keep an eye on them, thanks again :)
E.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”