QuTS Hero RAID 10 Configuration

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
mbender71
Getting the hang of things

QuTS Hero RAID 10 Configuration

Post by mbender71 »

Hi everyone,

Soon I'll be purchasing a 12 bay QNAP with QuTS Hero and it will have 8 x 8TB drives for main storage (SSD for system, NVMe for Cache/ZIL). I've currently run RAID 10 on my older QTS based QNAP NAS and have been researching into ZFS and different RAID levels in regards to performance. While reading about RAID 10 in ZFS, it appears it "could" be configured in two different ways. One way is the traditional Mirror+Stripe (in this case, a mirrored set of 4 stripped drives). The second, and from my reading the better preferred, is to have multiple mirrors (in this case 4) setup as vdevs and put all those vdevs in one zpool. There are ALOT of benefits of doing it this way (super fast resilver, easy to add more drives, and speed to boot). What I'd like to know is how QuTS Hero handles RAID 10 when asked to configure a set of drives?

Many thanks!
:-)
Current Hardware:
TS-h1277XU-RP 128GB (2 x 500GB SSD, 8 x 8TB HDD, 1 x 16TB HDD, 2 x 500GB NVMe, 1 x 1TB NVMe) GTX1650
QuTS hero h5.0.1.2277
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QuTS Hero RAID 10 Configuration

Post by dolbyman »

Doubt anyone here has a unit like this and can answer you ..but would be interesting to know if anyone knows

Remember this is a user forum ... no qnap here (unless you ask in presales..where once in a while a qnap emloyee will answer questions)

None of us here have insider infos ..get review units or any perks....apparently the German forum does..but the German market is probably more important than the international English one (sarcasm)
mbender71
Getting the hang of things

Post by mbender71 »

Hey, there dolbyman!

Yes, I'm quite aware this is a user forum BUT there are some sharp cookies on here. I thought I'd throw this question out since it will probably be asked in the future as QuTS Hero rises in popularity. It can't hurt, that's for sure! I'm not sure when I'll be purchasing the TS-h1277XU-RP-3700X but I have already bought the storage drives. My good ole' TVS-EC880 will be on the market shortly after I acquire this new beast. QNAP has been very good to me!

Thanks!
:-)
Current Hardware:
TS-h1277XU-RP 128GB (2 x 500GB SSD, 8 x 8TB HDD, 1 x 16TB HDD, 2 x 500GB NVMe, 1 x 1TB NVMe) GTX1650
QuTS hero h5.0.1.2277
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

looking forward to installing any of these units.
Hernan from Simply NAS posted on YouTube, and I just saw another great "real world" introduction video on YouTube from a guy in Spanish - but it's a great, simple intro video.
You can watch it without sound, and still "get it" -
I have no idea of who this guy is, but I would sure love to talk with him. I am actually kind of amazed that Ronnie at Span has not released any videos like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2RS9_zXDzM

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Mugen
Starting out

Post by Mugen »

OP,

Have you figured out your answer?

I have only 4 HDD at this time but as you said I have option to have one VDEV with RAID 10 or 2 VDEVs with each RAID 1 and storage pool. On the paper I assume they have identical read/write performance is what I gathered online.

My current setup is the former but surprisingly I get 700+ MB/s sequential write speed on 10Gbps connection without SSD cache. This is almost compatible to NVME raid 1 drive. On paper I expected 4 HDD in RAID 10 will give only 2x write of single HDD, which is 255 MB/s. So it’s outperforming my expectation for some reason.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”