TVS-682t check file system stuck at 1% after 8 days

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Dr_Russ
New here

TVS-682t check file system stuck at 1% after 8 days

Post by Dr_Russ »

Hi Everyone,
Thank you in advanced for any advice. I forced shut-down of the aforementioned NAS by mistake. On restart the main volume was unmounted and requested a file system check. I have been running it for 8 days and it has not advanced beyond 1%. On initiating the check, it starts at 1%, and some users on other threads have suggested it could take up to 2 weeks.
I tried several times prior to the current run, and the file system check always starts on 1%, and stays on 1%
It may be of note that at the time of purchase, the 10TB HGST enterprise-class drives were not on the QNAP compatibility list, however the drives were relatively new and the lower capacity versions were on the list.
The nas has 40TB of HDDs, 4x10TB in Raid 5 and several TB of raw video footage which is fragmented in to 4GB sections to preserve file integrity in case of power loss during recording (external camera recorder set up this way from factory).
Therefore, there are likely millions of individual files on the aforementioned volume at this point.
I can hear all HDDs being accessed and read.
I can see reading and writing in the cache acceleration graph viewer
All disk status indicators are good
During this 8 day period, raid scrubbing started automatically last night whilst the file system check was running, and seems to have progressed to 92% within about 17 hours, without any issues
Everything else seems to work as normal (specifically SSD separate volume being accessible, mounting without issues)
Firmware version is 4.5.1.1480
I have thoroughly learned my lesson: there are mission-critical files for medical research and patient care purposes which I cannot access at present, and I will invest whatever it takes in to a back-up.
My questions are as follows:
1. is it possible that a file system check with such high numbers of files could take so long?
2. is there anything else I should do?
3. is there a failsafe option in case, for whatever reason, the file system check does not complete successfully?
Once again, thank you in advance, I have no expectations of any solution, however I am grateful for any and all advice.
Russ
Dr_Russ
New here

Re: TVS-682t check file system stuck at 1% after 8 days

Post by Dr_Russ »

Hi, just fwiw the NAS completed scrubbing successfully without needing to repair any blocks. It continues to display 1% progress in the ongoing file system check, the HDDs are almost constantly being accessed and cache acceleration read/write is also consistenty active.
May I ask if there are any suggestions please?
Thank you,
Russ
Dr_Russ
New here

Check file system still going after 9 days 19 hours

Post by Dr_Russ »

Hi, just an update, file system check is still going after 9 days. The RAID has just over 22TB of files. I'm sorry I have not contributed to this forum up to now, I'm just a doctor but I am learning and I hope I can be of service in future.
All the best,
Russ
Dr_Russ
New here

Post by Dr_Russ »

Hi again, just in case anyone else is in my situation, the NAS is still going after 16 days, still showing 1%. I am trying my best to be patient with the machine on the basis that I read a report of one user with 30TB needing two weeks, therefore by my very rough extrapolation, our NAS will need 18 days. I hope this is normal?
Dr_Russ
New here

Re: TVS-682t check file system stuck at 1% after 18 days

Post by Dr_Russ »

Hi again, still running after 18 days, drive access almost stopped now, practically silent, CPU usage and temps up. I will report back when this ends, one way or the other.
snillocecurb
New here

Post by snillocecurb »

I am having the same issue. Did it ever resolve?

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”