SED question

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
mrw13
Starting out

SED question

Post by mrw13 » Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:08 am

Hello

I have a QNAP 253D with 2x 8TB ST8000VN004-2M2101 drives (seagate ironwolf).

I was under the impression these should be SED enabled, but when i go into create storage pool wizard, when I check the box for "Create SED secure storage pool" the available disk disappears. I am not certain i'd use SED anyway, but just want to understand.

Also i'm a bit confused about volumes and storage pools. Is there somewhere i can read up? As i understand it, a pool has multiple volumes, is that right?

I have 2x 8TB disks and only one is in use yet, but looking to do raid mirroring.

Thanks!!!

pbrunnen
Starting out

Re: SED question

Post by pbrunnen » Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:48 am

Hello mrw13,
Yea, I am having the same issue... I've got ST3000NM0053 and ST6000NM0044 drives on QuTS Hero for a TS-h1886XU-RP and all of which I can see fine under sedutil on linux. QNap support so far has been completely useless as they they tell me to buy compatible drives, but there are no SED compatible drives on the list for my model. Very, very frustrated.

pbrunnen
Starting out

Re: SED question

Post by pbrunnen » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:49 pm

So in case anyone else is searching regarding SED, let me save you the pain... (that is if they don't delete my posts)

QNap support for SED is *totally worthless* and I would suggest purchasing another manufactures device (or better yet, build a freenas server).
Regardless if a model drive is supported, SED is only supported on Consumer SSD drives! Rackmount units are geared toward Business customers, so Why would a Business customer who thinks about data integrity and security want to stuff their nas with Consumer grade drives???

Support jerked me around until just after the 30-day mark and now they won't take their junk back because "it isn't their fault".

This was the *LAST* thing I will *Ever* buy from QNap either personally or for customers... 🤬

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”