Increase speed of raid group synchronizing

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
mcassellis
New here

Increase speed of raid group synchronizing

Post by mcassellis »

Hello,

I recently purchased a TVS-472XT and I am in the process of copying 12TB of data onto it. Its set up with 8GB of RAM and 4 x 6TB disks in a RAID 10 configuration. For over a day its been synchronizing the RAID Group (see attached). Would adding more RAM or a M.2 SSD or both speed up this process?

Thanks
Screenshot 2021-02-13 at 10.18.11.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Increase speed of raid group synchronizing

Post by dolbyman »

adding cache will not speed up anything in regarding to raid group syncing..

are you writing data to the array at the same time ? ..if not ..yoi probably habe a busted disk (with those speeds)

why raid10?
raid6 is faster for sequential operations and has guaranteed 2 disk failure
mcassellis
New here

Post by mcassellis »

Thanks dolbyman. Yes, I am writing a lot of files so I guess this might explain the slow rate. Once I get all my files copied over to the NAS from my backup I will let it do its thing. I chose RAID10 for performance. From what I read, it seamed like the best way to go for my large photo library. However I am a novice when it comes to RAIDs.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

best to wait till the sync operation is done before writing files to it

RAID10 has advantages with high random operations like databases...For file storage, as said raid6 would have been better
StardustOne
Know my way around

Post by StardustOne »

Where is the logic that I get very low speed with Priority set to Service First (Low speed) with the RAID synchronizing on my TS-431+?

I have set it to Service first (Low speed) and it synchronizes with 7.13 MB/s.

I have set it to Default (Medium speed) and it synchronizes with 4.26 MB/s

I have set it to Resync First (High speed) and it synchronizes with 2.08 MB/s - 19 MB/s

I do not get it, but this synchronisation of the raid group, why is this not happening with the maximum disk speed that I have measured with over 110 MB/s?

Yes I do not have invested in RAID disks, I wanted to have cheap 2.5 5TB disks for my NAS and I managed to get 5 x 5TB Seagate Barracuda 2.5 inch disks for less than 250 Dollars. But I am fine with having only 110 - 130 MB/s read speed. I simpy do not get why this resynchronisation is taking so long and is not using the maximum or near maximum speed.

This is the one I have 3 times: ST5000LM000 and this disk has 600000 park and ramp up and 2 years warranty. So this is fine with me too, since it is RAID5. Each disk also has a 128 MB cache onboard.

The only explanation is that the speed I see is the write speed, but I also noticed that my SSD caching disk is not active while the resynchronisation is ongoing, this I also do not understand. Is this normal and the best that I can expect from my TS-431+?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

2.5" disks are probably using SMR . not a good idea for a RAID

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”