TS-563 RAID5 TB Limit. Just installed QTS v4.5.2.4566

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
JoBrCoGB
Getting the hang of things

TS-563 RAID5 TB Limit. Just installed QTS v4.5.2.4566

Post by JoBrCoGB »

Had the default QTS version installed when original RAID1 volume was created, purchased approx 2016. Upgraded from RAID5 w/ 4x 6TB drives to RAID5 w/ 4x 8TB drives, (replace one at a time). QTS v4.4.1.1216 build 200214 was installed when I upgraded the drives. There will eventually be a 5th drive of course. I noticed the 16TB limit. Saw somewhere that I'd have to upgrade to newest QTS, delete volume and start over. Is that true? Any way to trick the system? Edit partition table? Everything is backed up on another system.

I have one thick volume currently stuck @ 16TB with unused space on drives. :( The TS-563 has a 64 bit processor. Any help with the quickest and most secure route would be appreciated.

P.S. What is the TS-563's max RAID5 size, not sure how to calculate, couldn't find it stated anywhere?

Yes I searched first, couldn't find anything dealing with my specific NAS. Not many out there it would seem, (Intel's preferred?)

TIA gents.

Oh, And Happy Valentines Day to those that observe it.
NAS: TS-563 RAM: 16GB
QTS: v4.5.2.1566 build 20210202
HD's: (so far) 8TB x4; RAID5
BU: Mint18.3 Xfce SMB Server (8TB x4; RAID5); 64bit
WS: Dual boot Win7 SP1/Mint18.3 Cinnamon; 64bit
STV: TCL 55P605; Sony XBR-65X900E

-----------------------------------------------
The relativity of our experiences, so the differences between us.
'I only know that I know nothing.' --Socrates--
A good place to start, devoid of falsehoods!
rinthos
Been there, done that

Re: TS-563 RAID5 TB Limit. Just installed QTS v4.5.2.4566

Post by rinthos »

So the filesystem format is actually what's limiting your volume size. While not technically correct, think of it like a database that keeps track of all the files and data you save on that volume. In order to change the limits of this, you need to reformat the volume with a larger block size.

Details are here:
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... %2Ffolders.

You're not hitting any sort of CPU or RAM limit, it's literally the volume formatting that is limiting you.

The max volume size on your TS-563 will be limited actually by the number of drives your TS-563 can take, since a 64k block size would allow a volume larger than any 5 HDDs that exist today could make.

Your best bet would be copy the data off, recreate the volume, and then copy the data back. Sorry for the bad news :(.

JoBrCoGB wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:34 am Had the default QTS version installed when original RAID1 volume was created, purchased approx 2016. Upgraded from RAID5 w/ 4x 6TB drives to RAID5 w/ 4x 8TB drives, (replace one at a time). QTS v4.4.1.1216 build 200214 was installed when I upgraded the drives. There will eventually be a 5th drive of course. I noticed the 16TB limit. Saw somewhere that I'd have to upgrade to newest QTS, delete volume and start over. Is that true? Any way to trick the system? Edit partition table? Everything is backed up on another system.

I have one thick volume currently stuck @ 16TB with unused space on drives. :( The TS-563 has a 64 bit processor. Any help with the quickest and most secure route would be appreciated.

P.S. What is the TS-563's max RAID5 size, not sure how to calculate, couldn't find it stated anywhere?

Yes I searched first, couldn't find anything dealing with my specific NAS. Not many out there it would seem, (Intel's preferred?)

TIA gents.

Oh, And Happy Valentines Day to those that observe it.
JoBrCoGB
Getting the hang of things

Post by JoBrCoGB »

Just Wanted to thank you for this "bad news." ;-) "Live and learn," as they say, (Sometimes the hard way.)

I really hated this news, I just really don't like the fact that as the block size goes up, the possible file/dir maximum goes down, but it stands to reason of course.

So after all this time I'm finally going to undertake the task of making sure everything is backed up, and set up my NAS volume from scratch, strictly observing and setting the block size. Since my file/directory structure is complicated and vast, I'll set it up with a block size that's just after the max size with all 5 8TB disks installed, which shall be 32TB of the 40TB total; (I'm planning on setting it to 16k).

I'm assuming that the RAID 5 Parity data is not included in the block size limitation, right?

Thanks again! (Better late than never, I hope.)
NAS: TS-563 RAM: 16GB
QTS: v4.5.2.1566 build 20210202
HD's: (so far) 8TB x4; RAID5
BU: Mint18.3 Xfce SMB Server (8TB x4; RAID5); 64bit
WS: Dual boot Win7 SP1/Mint18.3 Cinnamon; 64bit
STV: TCL 55P605; Sony XBR-65X900E

-----------------------------------------------
The relativity of our experiences, so the differences between us.
'I only know that I know nothing.' --Socrates--
A good place to start, devoid of falsehoods!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

with a non legacy volume (when setup from scratch) you will not have 16TB volume limitation.

Your Thick,Thin or Static Volume will only be limited by the chosen inode size

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”