Failed to Extend the Volume

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
GMahal
Starting out

Failed to Extend the Volume

Post by GMahal »

HW Model# TVS-671
QTS version: 4.5.2 1594

Added a 5th drive to my 6 bay unit and successfully extended the storage pool. However, I am not able to extend DataVol1, which is a thick volume.
I have re-attemped several times, after running a System File Check but still no luck. Screen shots attached.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GMahal
Starting out

Re: Failed to Extend the Volume

Post by GMahal »

No one?
syncthing
Know my way around

Post by syncthing »

maybe you need a filesystem check again (your first image shows DataVol1 "Ready (check..."
can't see more but I guess it is requesting a file system check?
GMahal
Starting out

Post by GMahal »

Appreciate the response, but I went through the cycle of "file system check > re-attempt to extend the volume" several times.
SFX Group
Getting the hang of things

Post by SFX Group »

There maybe a misunderstanding here and this appears to have come about when QNAP stared using this "new"
Storage pool idea....

The first 4 disks, what RAID type do you have on them?
I assume you wanted to EXPAND that RAID volume to add the extra disk?

If so, this no longer looks like its possible to do, although i have done it on an older NAS (5+ years ago) and on a real old NAS.... i am reading this as i want to confirm its still possible.

Adding disks to POOLS is not how you "extend" or "expand" RAID from what i can see, a POOL is a collection of RAID volumes in a single pool, you however (i think) want to extend a RAID volume, not a pool. The Pool would then update to the new size.
Many Thanks
syncthing
Know my way around

Post by syncthing »

you still can add additional disks to a raid array (it's not possible with ZFS on qts hero)
as I understand the posting, that's what gmahal did already

DataVol1 status should be "Ready" and not "Ready (check...)" so I still think a forced filesystem check is necessary
GMahal wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:12 pm Appreciate the response, but I went through the cycle of "file system check > re-attempt to extend the volume" several times.
maybe try a reboot first ...
SFX Group

Post by SFX Group »

syncthing wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:24 am (it's not possible with ZFS on qts hero)
Thats why i am here, to research this, is there a reason why QuTS will not allow adding disks to a RAID volume?
Many Thanks
syncthing
Know my way around

Post by syncthing »

afaik ZFS doesn't support it right now
SFX Group

Post by SFX Group »

syncthing wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:54 am afaik ZFS doesn't support it right now
You are right, ive read both QuTS and QTS manuals, QuTS does not support adding disks to a RAID group/volume to expend it, it does however support removing each desk and increasing the size, once all disks are done you can extend in to that new space.
Many Thanks
GMahal
Starting out

Post by GMahal »

SFX Group wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:23 am
syncthing wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:54 am afaik ZFS doesn't support it right now
You are right, ive read both QuTS and QTS manuals, QuTS does not support adding disks to a RAID group/volume to expend it, it does however support removing each desk and increasing the size, once all disks are done you can extend in to that new space.
I'm confused. It looks like my Pool has been expanded and one screen shows my Volume as 21.56TB and another screen shows my volume as 28.9TB
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GMahal
Starting out

Post by GMahal »

SFX Group wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:44 pm There maybe a misunderstanding here and this appears to have come about when QNAP stared using this "new"
Storage pool idea....

The first 4 disks, what RAID type do you have on them?
I assume you wanted to EXPAND that RAID volume to add the extra disk?

If so, this no longer looks like its possible to do, although i have done it on an older NAS (5+ years ago) and on a real old NAS.... i am reading this as i want to confirm its still possible.

Adding disks to POOLS is not how you "extend" or "expand" RAID from what i can see, a POOL is a collection of RAID volumes in a single pool, you however (i think) want to extend a RAID volume, not a pool. The Pool would then update to the new size.
Re-reading your post...You are correct. I want EXPAND my existing RAID5 to add the extra disk. I guess what I did was add the disk to the POOL. Maybe I just chose the wrong option? I guess I can remove the disk from the POOL and see if there is an option to add the disk to the existing RAID...?
SFX Group

Post by SFX Group »

GMahal wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:00 am Re-reading your post...You are correct. I want EXPAND my existing RAID5 to add the extra disk. I guess what I did was add the disk to the POOL. Maybe I just chose the wrong option? I guess I can remove the disk from the POOL and see if there is an option to add the disk to the existing RAID...?
This is possible to do with QTS and EXT4 formats (you can not do it in QuTS with ZFS formats). Ive plugged in an older Intel NAS (TS 469 Pro, which is up for sale with disks) to have a look at this, its a mission to find it but it is in there...

Make sure your RAID is online, working with no background tasks, then:
- Open Storage Manager
- Go to Storage > Disks, make sure the disk you want to add shows up and is listed as FREE (no volumes and not in use), this will be the disk you want to ADD to the RAID (it has to be identical size as the other disks).
- In Storage manager go to Storage Space, then click on Storage Pool 1 in the right window (or what ever storage pool is the ROOT location for your RAID volume)
- Highlight Storage Pool 1, then click Manage (top right), that should bring a window up with the storage pool and all the disks in the current RAID all showing GOOD
- Click Expand Pool (top middle), this will show a Wizard, click Add disks to an existing RAID group, below this select the RAID group you want to add the disk too, then NEXT
- That should take you to a page showing the new disk(s) you have installed that are FREE, check which ever ones you want then NEXT, will give a confirmation of what you want to change.

I notice this doesnt show what the current RAID level is, i have 2 disks, adding a 3rd should change it from RAID1 to RAID5, however the above is how to add a disk to an existing RAID group / volume. This is way more complicated than it needs to be, and is not how it was done before this "new" Storage Manager appeared.

Dont worry if it fails, ive had to do it once or twice sometimes, and it will take hours to complete.
Many Thanks
GMahal
Starting out

Post by GMahal »

Looking at this again - I believe that I took the correct steps. I am at a screen where I can extend the Volume (see screen shots from 1st post). The problem is that the operation fails every time I try. Before trying, the file system is clean. After a failed attempt, it suggests that I do a File System Check. I do the File System Check and try again, but the same thing happens. The operation fails every time I try.
GMahal
Starting out

Post by GMahal »

Update: I was able to extend the Volume! What I did differently is that made it a little smaller than the max. I changed 29609GB to 28609GB rather than using the "Set to Max" button.
a13antichrist
Know my way around

Post by a13antichrist »

So you short-changed yourself a whole 1Tb? Why not try with a little closer to the max value...? Or did you?
TVS-871 @ 58tb formatted R6, Mellanox MCX312b 10Gbe,
R9 5950x || RTX3090 || 64Gb 3600Mhz || Intel X520 10Gbe
MbP M1 Max || 32C GPU || 64Gb || QNAP T310G1S SFP+ 10Gbe
R3 2200G mini HTPC
Mikrotik switches & routers
OpenWRT & DD-WRT wifi

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”