672n TL-D800S raid configuration swap

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
ausyxof
New here

672n TL-D800S raid configuration swap

Post by ausyxof »

I currently have a 672N in a raid 6 6x8TB WD red pro drives with a TL-D400S that's set up raid 5 4x 8th WD red pro, I just ordered a TL-D800S 8-bay and was wondering since everything is configured within the 672N, if I populate the TL-D800S with the 6 disks from the 672N, is it going to see the raid with all my data?

Essentially I want a larger pool and originally wanted to expand my existing pool and thought the TL-D400S could do that but alas I didn't research enough so will be returning that once I get my TL-D800S configured and set up but figured if I can swap the raid 6 into the 8-bay, that only eats 2 of the drives whereas my existing setup eats 3 for redundancy.

Ultimately I was going to swap the 4 from the TL-D400S into the TL-D800S as an experiment but figured I'd ask here first!
ausyxof
New here

Re: 672n TL-D800S raid configuration swap

Post by ausyxof »

So for those of you that were wondering this like myself, the TVS-672N recognized anything that was pulled from the eternal SAS enclosures, but not the other way around, unfortunately I lost my movies, music and ebooks (that I luckily had stored on an older Freenas server that I migrated from, but yeah, now the raid 5 is resynching, I added 2 more 8tb WD red drives, i'll migrate to a raid 6 and extend to the last drive and toss everything on the enclosure and use the main as a backup with a 14, 8, 8, 4, 4, 4TB WD red as separate JBOD drives. I just wish you could do NTFS drives internally like you can on an external USB enclosure.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

ausyxof wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:45 am So for those of you that were wondering this like myself, the TVS-672N recognized anything that was pulled from the eternal SAS enclosures, but not the other way around, unfortunately I lost my movies, music and ebooks (that I luckily had stored on an older Freenas server that I migrated from, but yeah, now the raid 5 is resynching, I added 2 more 8tb WD red drives, i'll migrate to a raid 6 and extend to the last drive and toss everything on the enclosure and use the main as a backup with a 14, 8, 8, 4, 4, 4TB WD red as separate JBOD drives. I just wish you could do NTFS drives internally like you can on an external USB enclosure.

do you mean create a raid6 on the tl-d800s using qts on 672n.

power off, remove the hdds from both. then take hdds from tl-d800s and put into 672n (order of hdds doesn't matter?) boot up and it works?

but no the other way round?

good to know ty :shock:

i use a tl-d400s. the way i am planning on using it though, is backup to the tl device, and if for some reason i need to reinitialize my qnap nas, i can then later plug back in the tl device then use hbs to recover. i'd have to create the original share names, then recover so the share structure remains the same.

still pending on that (mostly waiting quts hero to arrive). but i suspect that would work :'
Essentially I want a larger pool and originally wanted to expand my existing pool and thought the TL-D400S could do that but alas I didn't research enough so will be returning that once I get my TL-D800S configured and set up but figured if I can swap the raid 6 into the 8-bay, that only eats 2 of the drives whereas my existing setup eats 3 for redundancy.
could you explain about this? because to my understanding, you can't just combine the hdds from the tl device into the qnap and expand into the existing raid on the nas. instead, you make accessible a NEW volume that is created on the tl device, but is accesible on the QNAP QTS.

So are you saying that the Tl-D800S can do it differently, or what? :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
ausyxof
New here

Post by ausyxof »

do you mean create a raid6 on the tl-d800s using qts on 672n.
Yes that is correct
power off, remove the hdds from both. then take hdds from tl-d800s and put into 672n (order of hdds doesn't matter?) boot up and it works?

but no the other way round?

good to know ty :shock:
I took the original 6 drives that were in the 672n and put them in the tl-d800s in the same exact order and it did not see the raid, it was inactive as if there was a bad disk, however when I took the 4 hard drives that I had set up as a second pool in a raid 5 from the tl-d400s and placed them in the 672n in the same order, it recognized the raid no problem. Yet not in the 800s, so was definitely a question mark but I still had all my data backed up on my old freenas server so just lost the initial time it took to transfer all the data to the NAS.

i use a tl-d400s. the way i am planning on using it though, is backup to the tl device, and if for some reason i need to reinitialize my qnap nas, i can then later plug back in the tl device then use hbs to recover. i'd have to create the original share names, then recover so the share structure remains the same.

still pending on that (mostly waiting quts hero to arrive). but i suspect that would work :'
based on what I experienced, you could take the drives from the d400s and place them in the NAS itself and it should come up, but your mileage may vary, however since the shares were created via the 672N it actually kept the share since it had the same name on the pool already when I placed it into the 672N

could you explain about this? because to my understanding, you can't just combine the hdds from the tl device into the qnap and expand into the existing raid on the nas. instead, you make accessible a NEW volume that is created on the tl device, but is accesible on the QNAP QTS.

So are you saying that the Tl-D800S can do it differently, or what? :'
I didn't do my research and discovered that's not how it works, but that's what I thought the difference was between the SAS and USB variations of these but was mistaken as I'd only had the 6 bay 672N and wanted to expand my initial pool since I'm running a Plex server with about 24TB of storage, so I ended up returning the d400s that I wanted to expand with and getting the d800s which is now populated with 8x 8TB WD Red drives and am using the 672 as the JBOD, backwards I know, but short of buying an 8 bay NAS, couldn't find a way around this. Sorry if any of this doesn't make sense, was kind of shooting from the hip as losing my data wasn't a concern, lol.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

ausyxof wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:48 am ...
ty for the explanation :)

jbod? not raid? why though? :' with that many hdds isn't using raid better? then you can have 1 volume with parity.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
ausyxof
New here

Post by ausyxof »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:12 pm
ausyxof wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:48 am ...
ty for the explanation :)

jbod? not raid? why though? :' with that many hdds isn't using raid better? then you can have 1 volume with parity.
The JBOD is just because the disks are all different sizes and the main raid 6 is all I really need, I also have a 4-drive external USB Enclosure I'm going to use as an NTFS backup of the folders themselves within the raid 6 which will eventually be elsewhere just in case something happens with the QNAP itself

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”