I just want a simple backup solution... Is that so wrong?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
deepwoods
New here

I just want a simple backup solution... Is that so wrong?

Post by deepwoods »

Could someone please give me some guidance on how to bring my QNAP configuration into the 20th century?

I have the simplest configuration from when I first set up my QNAP TS-451 many years ago.
There are two hard drives, each configured with a static volume (one static volume is for PC backups, the other is for videos, each using separate drives).

I have now added two more hard drives. I would like to configure them to automatically and periodically BACK UP the original two hard drives.
I do not want to use RAID protection; I just want each hard drive to be periodically backed up (daily or even weekly).
I don't want anything too sophisticated where I won't know where the backup is stored (e.g. I want hard drive 1 to be backed up onto hard drive 3 and hard drive 2 to be backed up onto hard drive 4).
I have no interest in transferring this data to the cloud, or between two different NAS boxes (i.e. if the house burns down, all backups will be lost. Precious data is backed up separately to the cloud).
I am just trying to protect against a drive failure and I do not want to trust RAID.

I am totally overwhelmed with QNAP documentation. There appear to be too many different ways to back things up (to the cloud and another NAS), but I do not see how to fulfill my simple needs.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

This is what I have configured.
qnap.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: I just want a simple backup solution... Is that so wrong?

Post by dolbyman »

NEVER EVER backup internally (those backups are useless if the NAS dies, as you cannot [easily] read NAS drives externally)

So buy a double SATA dock or two external enclosures and backup your two single disks to the two external backup targets
deepwoods
New here

Post by deepwoods »

Thanks for the prompt guidance! Not quite the answer I expected.
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

A usb to Sata lead like this will allow you to back up your NAS locally ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/USB-SATA-Adapt ... B01N2JIQR7
Ron1963
Been there, done that

Post by Ron1963 »

As your 451 is a ticking time bomb, see viewtopic.php?f=45&t=135089 for one of the topics about this it's almost essential to have your data outside your NAS as well. Good news is that there is a DIY fix for it in that topic as well, but nobody knows yet how long that holds up.
1x TS251, 1x TS251D, 1x TS253

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”