S.M.A.R.T setting (rapid and complete test)

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
ikifikif
Starting out

S.M.A.R.T setting (rapid and complete test)

Post by ikifikif »

Hello.
I have several questions :
1. How often to do "rapid" and "complete" test ?
2. How much is it necessary to perform "Performance test" ?
3. Settings "Predictive S.M.A.R.T Migration" , do I need it ?
4. How to define self testing of surface (bed sectors) on a schedule ?

My setup : TS-431 , 2x6T WD-red pro (raid1), 1x3T WD-red (single).
For home use , home backups from laptops and phones , torrents.
Thank you in advance.
P3R
Guru

Re: S.M.A.R.T setting (rapid and complete test)

Post by P3R »

ikifikif wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:44 am 1. How often to do "rapid" and "complete" test ?
I've been running and recommending rapid every night and complete every week for many years now.
I don't do it unless I'm looking for something specific. That's how necessary I think it is.
It will migrate a disk to a spare disk based on undocumented interpretations of S.M.A.R.T. data. That doesn't sound very attractive to me.

Very few use any of the spare drive features at all any more because they rarely work as expected and many users don't want to pay for additional drive bays to "only" use them as spare drives.
As far as I know it's not possible to schedule it, only run it on demand.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
ikifikif
Starting out

Re: S.M.A.R.T setting (rapid and complete test)

Post by ikifikif »

P3R wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:09 pm
ikifikif wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:44 am 1. How often to do "rapid" and "complete" test ?
I've been running and recommending rapid every night and complete every week for many years now.
I don't do it unless I'm looking for something specific. That's how necessary I think it is.
It will migrate a disk to a spare disk based on undocumented interpretations of S.M.A.R.T. data. That doesn't sound very attractive to me.

Very few use any of the spare drive features at all any more because they rarely work as expected and many users don't want to pay for additional drive bays to "only" use them as spare drives.
As far as I know it's not possible to schedule it, only run it on demand.
Thank you very much , you really helped me.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”