QNAP TS-431K Setup without loosing data

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
neoskateur
New here

QNAP TS-431K Setup without loosing data

Post by neoskateur »

Hello,

I just bought a QNAP TS-431K, I already have 2 * 8To full of data, and of course I bought this NAS to get a RAID 5 for them to be secure.
Is there any possibility to setup my NAS with my HDD without loosing any data ?

Thanks
OneCD
Guru

Re: QNAP TS-431K Setup without loosing data

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)
neoskateur wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:56 am ... and of course I bought this NAS to get a RAID 5 for them to be secure.
RAID 5 (or any other RAID level) doesn't make your data secure. RAID boxes are quite fragile, and it's easy to lose everything on the drives. It's rather common for NAS newbies to put far-too-much trust in their shiny new box because they misunderstand how RAID boxes work. ;)

The primary benefit of RAID is it permits increased uptime in the event of a drive failure. The idea being your data store will remain online (available for use by client devices) while you replace the problem drive. For business use, this uptime can be very important. For home use, not-so-much.

You will always need external backups of your data, so it would be a good idea to invest in some more drives.
neoskateur wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:56 am Is there any possibility to setup my NAS with my HDD without loosing any data ?
No. If you insert those drives into the NAS drive-bays, they will need to be formatted by the NAS before they can be used. Don't do this.

The process will be: insert some empty drives into the NAS, allow the NAS to format them, then attach your existing drives externally (for example: via USB docking station) and copy the data into the NAS and onto those new drives.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”