At a loss: How to get QNAP TR-004 to mount as an external usb drive for my QNAP NAS ts-419p+

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
kristian.villumsen
New here

At a loss: How to get QNAP TR-004 to mount as an external usb drive for my QNAP NAS ts-419p+

Post by kristian.villumsen » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:20 pm

I really hope there is some one with a bright idea in here to help.

I run a QNAP NAS server ts-419p+ and have been using it without problems for years. I have often had USB drives connected - also without problem. To store a very large amount data, I have now purchased a QNAP TR-004 with four 8 Terabyte drives to basically extend the usefulness of my NAS server. Both devices run the latest firmwares - for the 419p+, the version is 4.3.3.1624. For the TR-004 the version is 1.1.1. The settings on the back of the server are set to software configuration of the drives.

1) I have installed the four drives and formatted them on my mac (Format as OS X Extended (Journaled) and Scheme as GUID Partition Map

2) I have used the QNAP external RAID manager to group the drives in one partition - the drive mounts perfectly on the mac every time

3) Now comes the trouble - I connect the TR-004 to the NAS server - it detects the device but says file system is unknown

4) I have then gone on to try and format the TR-004 from the NAS web interface in different formats based on readings here and elsewhere in EXT 4

5) The drive then mounts but there is now only less than 200 mb available on the drive - there is no data on it, so this is obviously wrong and it still mounts just fine on the mac with all its drive space intact

I should also say that I initally tried mounting the TR-004 with all four drives but the NAS only found two of them and I had the same problem - not on the mac where everything mounted just fine. I tried the other USB port on the NAS server for the odd chance that it would be a hardware problem but no.

What am I doing wrong? Any help getting this fixed highly appreciated

dolbyman
Guru

Re: At a loss: How to get QNAP TR-004 to mount as an external usb drive for my QNAP NAS ts-419p+

Post by dolbyman » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:27 pm

I think the config is too large for the QNAP, it has a hard 16TB limit for volumes, that will probably be also true for external devices.

For a test do a RAID1 with just two drives (remove the other two) and see if it works

kristian.villumsen
New here

Re: At a loss: How to get QNAP TR-004 to mount as an external usb drive for my QNAP NAS ts-419p+

Post by kristian.villumsen » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:04 am

Lifesaver! Worked right away! Thank you!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”