Thin and Thick Volumes

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
P3R
Guru

Re: Thin and Thick Volumes

Post by P3R »

steve102 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:49 am Would be nice to find a simple web server that was just a simple web server.
If only for a web server I would look for it offered as a service by a cloud provider instead. Less work for you and much less security issues to worry about.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
steve102
Know my way around

Re: Thin and Thick Volumes

Post by steve102 »

I know enough Old Tech to be able to keep my own server. I have been using Qnap for years. The current problem I have been having is that most recently Qnap has been changing and leaving out old parts of both apache linux that I have depended on for years. Changes to the point that have I had to revert to using VM to Isolate all of my scripts and linux all together from and to the point using the Qnap as a hybrid computer box and by-passing qnaps web server altogether.
Nas1: TS-453D -Firmware: 4.5.3 Build 1652
Nas2: TS-453D -Firmware: 4.5.3 Build 1652
Nas3: TS-253 Pro-Firmware: 4.5.3 Build 1652
Nas4: TS-451+ -Firmware: 4.5.3 Build 1652
Windows 7 | Apple| Linux | Apache | Perl

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”