File system not clean - FIXed - Maintenance mode.

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
go5star
New here

File system not clean - FIXed - Maintenance mode.

Post by go5star »

Ok. So if this is a repeat in another post my apologies.

Problem - Showed up to work after the weekend and server was operating but was read-only.

Tried - 1. I tried to clean the file system in the GUI as suggested by the system. It failed multiple times. Read the last log and saw that my volume was not unmounting properly.

2. Did the usual reboots. Shutdown and reboot. Shut down and unplug then wait 15 minutes and then reboot. None of that worked.

2. Different posts suggested I had run out of memory and/or disk space. Memory availability was 70+% so that wasn't it. Deleted unnecessary files so that wasn't it.

3. Searched for and found manual ways to stop system processes. Even though the GUI said it was stopping all processes it was in fact not stopping them all. I am in fact smart enough to read along and command line how to manually shut down different processes but I am also in fact lazy sometimes and my brain wasn't to that point yet.

4. YEAH! A solution. I downloaded PUTTY and stumbled through the settings and got a terminal window to open. There were seven options available. I can't remember the first five but 6. was "recovery mode" and 7. was "maintenance mode". Yes maintenance mode. Mode a la maintenance. Just plain maintenance mode. Was that completely redundant? Yes it truly was (sorry). But after searching the internet and the QNAP forum I could a find recovery mode explanation but not a "maintenance mode" explanation. Even when I typed in "maintenance mode" the forum was happy to show me results even when the two words were separate and not related. Maintenance mode runs the bare minimum of processes and thus was able to unmount the volume.

Caveat. My server as with firmware updates including the last one will sometimes hang on "system rebooting" on the LCD panel. I waited until all of the hard drive lights were no longer blinking and after 30 minutes held the power button and my breath until the shutdown. After it restarted I was officially in maintenance mode and the disk check worked.........and thus here I am. Going home late but happy.

Hopefully in the future someone can go home even sooner than I did.

Also none of the above is any kind of promise that will solve every problem with QNAP servers but it did solve mine.

TS-453A (8 Gb memory - 4TB Seagate Iron Wolf and Exos)
TS-453B (16 Gb memory - 8TB Seagate Iron Wolf)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”