TS-677 M.2 cache disappeared, SSDs are no longer recognized

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
frankyjones
New here

TS-677 M.2 cache disappeared, SSDs are no longer recognized

Post by frankyjones »

Hi guys,

I had configured a cache of 2 M.2 SSDs in RAID1 in my TS-677 and used this cache for a HDD volume. So far everything had worked and was also noticeable in read and write speeds.
Then I had made a firmware update (believe 4.5.2.1630), after that also everything fine...at least a reboot worked without problems.

On the second restart, the SSD cache was suddenly reported as faulty and the two M.2 SSDs were displayed as "not available" under "volumes". That's when the fun really started...
I have since tried the following (unsuccessfully):

- M2 connectors checked, cleaned and reinserted.

- inserted only 1 M2-SSD and tried both slots separately

- Reinitialized the NAS

- Performed firmware downgrade

- NAS reset to factory settings

- BIOS reset to default

Today I inserted both M2 SSDs into a USB-C adapter and connected them to my WIN10 PC. The SSDs were both recognized, I was able to format them with NTFS, copy files and delete them again. I used Crystal DiskInfo to read the SSDs (see attached).
The SSDs seem to work at least on other devices and the values are all in the green zone in my opinion.

They are Crucial MX500 1TB SSDs.

In the meantime I assume a HW defect in the NAS. I will now get another M.2 SSD for fun and install it.
Does anyone have another idea and / or already experienced something similar?

Thanks and many greetings
Franky
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: TS-677 M.2 cache disappeared, SSDs are no longer recognized

Post by Toxic17 »

Hi there.

4.5.3.1652 build 20210428 has been released recently, either try reverting to an older firmware to see if the SSD's are recognised or update the firmware and see if the drives appear again.

failing all of that, then raise a ticket with QNAP.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”