How to safely detach TR-002 from QNAP NAS

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Sterver
New here

How to safely detach TR-002 from QNAP NAS

Post by Sterver »

Hello community,

I have problem with disconnecting TR-002 from my NAS TS-1273U-RP. I'm using it in RAID 1 mode (HW set, not software controlled) as external USB backup device.

Before disconnecting the device I use "Eject" in External Device list, but after ejecting the device, it still seems to be running and working (leds are blinking), but I can't see it in QTS and do anything with it. When I eject the device in Windows, it behave as I expect - turns off all discs, and this is not happening after ejecting in NAS.
After turning TR-002 off by switch, I get this error in NAS's QTS:

Code: Select all

Error	2021-xx-xx	xx	admin	127.0.0.1	Hardware Status	External RAID Enclosure	[Hardware Status] External RAID device disconnected. Device: TR-002-N472.
How should I properly detach the TR-002?
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: How to safely detach TR-002 from QNAP NAS

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

go to the product page and download the manual.

for software there app has an eject button.

for hardware i believe the device has a physical EJECT BUTTON. try pressing that?

obviously don't be using the tr-002 when you are trying to eject. if you got stuff running like file transfers, finish or stop that first. and if you got windows explorer or some app accessing the tr-002, close them as well before ejecting.

if that doesn't work, then windows 10 should have an external device in the bottom right side where you can right click and eject whatever external device is connected to your desktop pc.

once successfully ejected, you can then power off the tr-002 if you want.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
Sterver
New here

Post by Sterver »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:55 pm go to the product page and download the manual.

for software there app has an eject button.

for hardware i believe the device has a physical EJECT BUTTON. try pressing that?

obviously don't be using the tr-002 when you are trying to eject. if you got stuff running like file transfers, finish or stop that first. and if you got windows explorer or some app accessing the tr-002, close them as well before ejecting.

if that doesn't work, then windows 10 should have an external device in the bottom right side where you can right click and eject whatever external device is connected to your desktop pc.

once successfully ejected, you can then power off the tr-002 if you want.
Thank you for your reply.

(I tried downloading the manual and nothing changed. Should I put the PDF file on TR-002 or NAS, so it would help?)

The manual mentions Eject button, but it seems to be not working when I try to use it before disconnecting from NAS.
I haven't tried using the Eject button on Windows, cos I'm using Windows device manager to disconnect the TR-002, what works great.

I have no problem disconnecting the TR-002 from Windows, only from NAS.

In QTS there is an Eject button (in External Device list) also, which cause that NAS does not see the TR-002 anymore, however, it's not powered off as when "ejected" from Windows using Device manager. In this "not-disconnected state" from NAS, LEDs on TR-002 still blink time to time, physical eject button does nothing and when I power off the TR-002 using physical switch or disconnect the USB cable, I get error that I mentioned above.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Sterver wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 3:28 pm (I tried downloading the manual and nothing changed. Should I put the PDF file on TR-002 or NAS, so it would help?)
No, the manual is for you to read. It doesn't matter where you store it. :DD

But simply possessing a PDF copy will not solve your problem: you must also take the time to read it.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”