Error: Failed to install Malware Remover. There is no available volume. Create a new volume in Storage & Snapshots

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
atelier522
Starting out

Error: Failed to install Malware Remover. There is no available volume. Create a new volume in Storage & Snapshots

Post by atelier522 »

I always get this error:
App Installation [App Center] Failed to install Malware Remover. There is no available volume. Create a new volume in Storage & Snapshots.
There IS a volume with directories on this QNAP NAS (TS-431X /// version 4.5.3.1652)

Did anyone also get this error message - and has a solution?

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Error: Failed to install Malware Remover. There is no available volume. Create a new volume in Storage & Snapshots

Post by dolbyman »

did you delete any of the default shares?
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: Error: Failed to install Malware Remover. There is no available volume. Create a new volume in Storage & Snapshots

Post by Mousetick »

You can't install apps without a system volume. Did you remove the system volume?
QTS Manual: The System Volume
atelier522
Starting out

Post by atelier522 »

Thanks, Mousetick.

I cannot create a volume, because I cannot select a drive. Although there IS a static volume for the backups on that 4 drives.
The support is no real help until now.

Is it possible to create a volume - without deleting the existing one first?

As this is one of two identical backup destinations (tik-tok principle), I COULD setup this NAS as new and recreate all content (takes a week or so).
— or would it be possible to reset all settings and leave the content on that existing (non-system) volume intact?

Thanks!
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

So you have one static volume on a RAID made up of 4 drives, is that correct?

If that's the case I don't know how you could end up with no system volume. It's not possible to add or remove volumes with a static volume setup. There is only one volume, the static volume - it should be, and remain the system volume.

Can you post screenshots of your setup so we can see a little bit better?
- one screenshot of Storage & Snapshots > Storage/Snapshots
- one screenshot of App Center > Volume Info (button is on the left of the top bar, next to view & sort icons)
atelier522 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 5:23 pm Is it possible to create a volume - without deleting the existing one first?
Not with a static volume.
would it be possible to reset all settings and leave the content on that existing (non-system) volume intact?
Yes but I don't know if a lossless reset would fix this issue.

QNAP tech support can probably reinstate the system volume status (or give you instructions to do it yourself) that was somehow lost assuming it's a simple configuration setting somewhere.
atelier522
Starting out

Post by atelier522 »

So you have one static volume on a RAID made up of 4 drives, is that correct?
Correct:

If that's the case I don't know how you could end up with no system volume.
Me neither. I just got there somehow, I don't know.
screenshots of your setup
Yes, sorry for leaving that out:

Storage & Snapshots:

App Center > Volume Info:

QNAP tech support can probably reinstate the system volume status
support said having done sth. like that, but it didn't help re-setting up the "standard shares", which were required for reinstalling HBS3:
("system default shares laready exist or the drive volume isn't formatted or is ejected")

dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

always switch your UI to English bore posting screenshots, not everyone here can read German
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

atelier522 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:11 pm Storage & Snapshots:
Normally the label "(System)" (in German) should be displayed next to the volume name: i.e. DataVol1 (System).
support said having done sth. like that, but it didn't help re-setting up the "standard shares", which were required for reinstalling HBS3:
("system default shares laready exist or the drive volume isn't formatted or is ejected")
It's the same issue: default shares cannot be created without a system volume! Default shares are stored on the system volume (when there is one).

QNAP really needs to fix it for you. Failing that, you could try a reset (preserving data) or perhaps manually reinstall the firmware. And failing that, a full reset + erase and setup from scratch.
atelier522
Starting out

Post by atelier522 »

QNAP support made sth., but that didn't help.

complete reset was the solution.
resync in progress …

----

Thanks everyone for the hints!
iGeorge
New here

Post by iGeorge »

The solution is from here viewtopic.php?t=126060
"The fix was: Go to QNAP GUI > Control Panel > Privilege Settings > Shared Folders to click [Restore Default Shared Folders]"
farmeunit
First post

Post by farmeunit »

iGeorge wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:07 pm The solution is from here viewtopic.php?t=126060
"The fix was: Go to QNAP GUI > Control Panel > Privilege Settings > Shared Folders to click [Restore Default Shared Folders]"
When I do that, I get "System default shares have already existed, or the disk volume is not formatted or unmounted.

I did create an SMB share, but removed it and created and iSCSi LUN because our backup vendor said block based would be better and we started having SMB issues on our ReadyNAS. My question would be, why doesn't QNAP reserve something specifically for this?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you remove your volumes, this error is a given (you need a system volume ..as the error states)

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”