How to Protect Snapshots against malicious deletion? (QLocker)

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Frankie01
New here

How to Protect Snapshots against malicious deletion? (QLocker)

Post by Frankie01 »

Hi,

I read in the Qnap statement that the ransomeware QLocker deleted all snapshots as a first step.

This is really extremely bad news since snapshots are regarded as THE protection against Ransomeware. :shock: So our snapshots themselves were not protected against unauthorized deletion?

Question: Is there a known way to prevent a malware to delete my snapshots? (Maybe additional user Password protection for Snapshots?)

Best

Frank
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: How to Protect Snapshots against malicious deletion? (QLocker)

Post by Mousetick »

Frankie01 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:35 pm I read in the Qnap statement that the ransomeware QLocker deleted all snapshots as a first step.

This is really extremely bad news since snapshots are regarded as THE protection against Ransomeware. :shock:
And who says they are THE protection against Ransomware, I wonder? Don't be so naive and stop taking for granted everything a vendor or ad-sponsored publication tells you.
So our snapshots themselves were not protected against unauthorized deletion?
Not in the QLocker case, no. Once a device such as a QNAP NAS is breached, anything malicious can be done. QLocker could have reformatted the drives if it wanted, but that would have been counter-productive (for the criminals).
Question: Is there a known way to prevent a malware to delete my snapshots? (Maybe additional user Password protection for Snapshots?)
No. At least not on QNAP devices.

If you want to protect against ransomware, properly secure your devices so they can't be as easily breached, and make external backups of your data. Snapshots are not backups.

Search and read up this forum if you want to learn more. These issues repeatedly come up and are discussed at length.
Frankie01
New here

Re: How to Protect Snapshots against malicious deletion? (QLocker)

Post by Frankie01 »

Thanks!

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”