Qtier Setup

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
silencereno
First post

Qtier Setup

Post by silencereno »

Hi, my NAS is TS 253D, QTS is most recent updated version. I have a QM2 card with 2 Nvme SSD (1TB each). One HDD is Ironwolf pro 8TB (thick volume) in Pool 1, another HDD is IRONWOLF 12TB as Stastic Volume in Pool 2 for Hot Spare.
I wanna create Qtier for HDD 1 as Pool 1, but can not if I setup 2 SSD as RAID 1 then one Single HDD (Pool 1).
What seupt of config i can try here to accomplish the Qtier Setup?
Many thanks here.
wytco0
Starting out

Re: Qtier Setup

Post by wytco0 »

Watching with interest, I can't set up Qtier either on mt TS-253D. I have successfully used my 2 SSD drives as a cache, but when I remove the cache and try and upgrade to qtier It won't allow me to add the SSD's to the Storage Pool. after I select the pool and press Next in the Upgrade wizard nothing happens and I cant select the SSDs to add them.

Any ideas?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

A static volume as a hotspare makes no sense

A spare can only be for a redundant RAID (1 and higher)

Qtier should work for the single pooled drive, make sure both SSD are empty and do not contain any pool or volume before adding the Tier
Trexx
Ask me anything

Post by Trexx »

I wouldn't' bother going down this path at all.

Create mirrored Static Volume on NVMe drives with small over provision. Create shared folders for data on NVMe Static Volume,migrate critical apps/qpkgs (Plex, VM's, etc.) to NVMe via App Center.

Done...

Qtier is a black box that you will have no control over, and overly complicates the setup for a very base level NAS device.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I agree makes absolutely no sense .. but if you point that out after users have made the purchase(because why ask beforehand?) they will kick,bite and scream to use it the way they want to

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”