DataVol1 (System) is read only

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
TeraBit
Getting the hang of things

DataVol1 (System) is read only

Post by TeraBit »

I have a super simple home setup. 2x2TB drives, each its own static volume, with a nightly backup job.
The system volume is a bit iffy, SMART info shows it has 7 pending sectors (raw value), so it is mounted RO.
Say I'm OK with the risk, and would like to mount it RW. Like I wrote above, it's a simple home setup, I'm not afraid of data loss and willing to take the risk.
I have scanned for bad blocks, checked the file system and did the SMART quick test. Still, it is mounted RO.

What are my options? How can/should I convince QNAP to mount RW?
QTS 5.0.0.1850
TS-251+ with 2x2TB WD Red / Two static volumes (system and backup) for a simple home setup.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: DataVol1 (System) is read only

Post by dolbyman »

probably none at all(GUI)..swap the disk for a new one

Or you could wade through the md documentation and see if there is a way to force r/w

e.g.

Code: Select all

mdadm --readwrite /dev/md0 
TeraBit

Post by TeraBit »

thank you, dolbyman. Just to reiterate, I'm not using RAID at all.
Couldn't a simple remount do the trick? I'm just unsure what options I should use.
I've no problem using SSH. Although I haven't done that in a long while, I'm no stranger to linux or man pages.
QTS 5.0.0.1850
TS-251+ with 2x2TB WD Red / Two static volumes (system and backup) for a simple home setup.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

mdraid is always used no matter is single disks, jbod or raid

check the effected device via

cat /proc/mdstat
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

Do you even know why the volume is read only? Is it because the system detected errors on the drive, or because the volume is full?

You can try to remount it read/write behind QTS' back. Don't know why you would want to do that or what good it will do, but whatever. If that's what you want, have at it, using SSH:

# mount -o remount,rw /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA
Have fun :S

* I don't know what the mount points for static volumes look like. Replace /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA with the actual mount point for your first volume as applicable.
TeraBit

Post by TeraBit »

It must be the bad sectors. The volume is most definitely not full, just about 90% full.
I was, wrongly, it seems, under the impression that mount/umount is the way to go since it's not a RAID. I'll do some reading about mdadm and Any more information you'd suggest I try to collect before attempting to do that?
QTS 5.0.0.1850
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

Go to QuLog Center and look at the System Event Log. There should be some past message(s) there showing when the system put the volume in read-only mode and why.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”