Bad block scan, where are the results?

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
marioqn
Starting out

Bad block scan, where are the results?

Post by marioqn »

My TS-253D in RAID 1 started to give daily hardware status warnings that "medium error. run a bad block scan..." for both drives. I did run the bad block scans for both (it was quite an adventure to find the button where to start it), then after a few hours the notification said the scans were finished, and... nothing else.
Isn't there somewhere a place where I can see the RESULTS of those scans? Even if there was nothing found, at least a mention that a scan was run and nothing was found? The notifications are the only ones mentioning I ever ran a bad block scan and even they don't say how it ended... :(

PS: I also don't have the warnings anymore (maybe related to the bad block scan or not, I have no idea)
Qnap TS-253D
QTS 5.0.0 build 2055
2x Seagate Exos 6Tb
RAID 1
Camera TP-Link Tapo C200
holger_kuehn
Easy as a breeze

Re: Bad block scan, where are the results?

Post by holger_kuehn »

I've tested this yesterday. Couldn't find the results either. I had expected to see them in the health status for the disc, but this seems to be only SMART information. So I can also see only the notification of the finished test, but not the results.
marioqn wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:45 pm PS: I also don't have the warnings anymore (maybe related to the bad block scan or not, I have no idea)
I suppose it's related to the scan, as when a bad block is found the HDD-controller is moving the data to a physically different (spare) sector and does not use the bad one any longer. So those are repaired, but you should keep an eye on the number of bad blocks and swap the drive if their number gets higher.
NAS (production): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
NAS (backup): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 2TB Samsung Evo 860 M.2-Sata
Data (QTier): [RAID-6] 4 x 4TB Samsung 870 QVO Sata
Data (HDD): [RAID-6] 7 x 18TB Exos
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)
UPS: CyberPower CP900EPFCLCD
BACKUP: 10x4TB WD Red using a USB 3.0 Dock
Usage: SMB with rclone (encrypted)

NAS: TS-873U-RP FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
Data (SSD): [RAID-10] 4 x 1TB Samsung Evo 860 Sata
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)
UPS: CyberPower PR2200ELCDRT2U
BACKUP: 4TB Synology DS214 FW: DSM 7.0.41890
Usage: SMB, Backup Domain Controller
marioqn
Starting out

Re: Bad block scan, where are the results?

Post by marioqn »

holger_kuehn wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:07 pm I suppose it's related to the scan, as when a bad block is found the HDD-controller is moving the data to a physically different (spare) sector and does not use the bad one any longer. So those are repaired, but you should keep an eye on the number of bad blocks and swap the drive if their number gets higher.
You're totally right and thank you for your support! I'm just still confused. I checked the SMART status also before doing that bad block test, and it was showing zero bad sectors... So whatever caused the notification, it was NOT coming from SMART. So while I'd love to keep an eye on the bad blocks, it's obvious that I have no idea where they are counted :? so did I have only one? Exactly one on each drive as the notification said? So unlikely... :cry:
Qnap TS-253D
QTS 5.0.0 build 2055
2x Seagate Exos 6Tb
RAID 1
Camera TP-Link Tapo C200

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”