QM2 M.2 SSD 4 Disconnected

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
VukDjordjevic
Getting the hang of things

QM2 M.2 SSD 4 Disconnected

Post by VukDjordjevic »

Hello, dear people of the Qnap forum. I don't tend to post a lot mainly when I run into problems sadly :(

So last night I had a problem with the electricity in the office and when I came to work I found out that my UPS was beeping and NAS was shut down (TS-877). For some reason, the NAS didn't shut down properly even though it is set to shut down after the electricity has been gone for more than 5minutes. Booted the NAS it advises me to do a File system check since the raid groups weren't clean I performed that and everything was working fine for a few hours.

After a few hours, my shared folder stops working and the NAS gives me an error > Error Hardware Status Drives [Hardware Status] "QM2 (PCIe1): PCIe 1 M.2 SSD 3": Disconnected. It gave me the same error for all 4 SSD's connected to the QM2 card.
The SSD's disappeared from the QM2 card so did the shared folders created on them. I did a system reboot and again went through the System check. Now everything is working fine, again for now. Did anyone get this type of error or behavior from a QM2 card before? I was running rock stable for 2 years till now. Never happened before... Not to mention that the NAS is sitting in a rackmount in a separate room and is not being touched or moved at all.

I got this error just before the SSD's started disconnecting > Information 2021-06-11 14:54:02 admin storage & Snapshots Volume [Storage & Snapshots] Finished hot-removing disk "QM2 (PCIe1): PCIe 1 M.2 SSD 4".

The ssd's are all 100% Life Remaining and Healthy in total 4 ssd's 2x970 Pro's in RAID 0 and 2x970 Evo Pluses in Raid 0.

I am thinking of shutting down the NAS, removing the card check if they are seated properly, cleaning the dust, and repositioning the QM2 card back in the PCI-E slot. Any suggestions?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QM2 M.2 SSD 4 Disconnected

Post by dolbyman »

All electronics can fail.. and sudden drops/spikes in power can accelerate that.

But with these drives in RAID0 , you probably anticipate failure and any time ..right?So any data should be well backed up
VukDjordjevic

Post by VukDjordjevic »

I couldn't agree more with you but I actually have a daily backup job on a separate raid group which is a raid 5. The thing is the other NAS didn't shut down last night so apparently there wasn't any electricity problem. Did a google search for the Cyberpower ups I have and seems that it might be a battery issue on the 2-3-year-old UPS but the actual UPS on screen says it has its battery at 100% life so dunno. I guess I'll have to test the ups first.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Make sure you do backup to external destinations, if the NAS craps out the internal backups are hard to impossible to get to without another QNAP device
VukDjordjevic

Post by VukDjordjevic »

I have another Nas in the office you mean to do a NAS to NAS backup? What do you mean by another NAS?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You would do the backup to:

- USB
- Another NAS
- Cloud

Effectively: If your NAS breaks, you cannot get to the data on the drives as they are not formatted in a way that you can easily read them out in a different system

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”