Configuration HDD & SSD & SSD Caching

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Manfred73
Starting out

Configuration HDD & SSD & SSD Caching

Post by Manfred73 »

Hi,

Recently my Synology DS2415+ (12-bay) NAS broke down (defective mainboard). Since it's already out of warranty and considering the price to have it repaired, I thought it was not worth it and I decided to go for a QNAP for a change after seeing some good reviews. The QNAP of choice: TVS-H1288X-W1250-16G 12 Bay EXT.

I've been viewing numerous videos on Youtube on how to configure this. I mostly see that chosen configurations are in some form of RAID. I'm still wondering though what would be best. I mainly use the NAS as a mediastation using Plex with a Plexpass and to store photo's and self made videos. On my old Synology I didn't use any RAID configuration for storing movies and series, just had a few large volumes. Not sure if I want to spent an expensive 14 or 18 TB drive as a RAID for my movies/series. For my photos and own made videos, documents and backup yes, but for these I can use some smaller drives in RAID 1 configuration.
For the QNAP I ordered two new Seagate Ironwolf drives 18 TB each and I'm still trying to figure out what would be best: configure them them as static, thick, thin.

If I understand correctly, when using a thin configuration, you have no idea which volume / hdd the data is coming from? Any suggestions what would be best/most practical to use for this purpose?

Also, I bought two Seagate SSD NAS drives, 2TB each. I'd like to use those partly as SSD caching, and also install the QNAP system on those and all QNAP apps. Is this possble, to assign part of the SSD as cache storage and the rest just as normal storage? Also, is it advisable to configure these two SSDs as RAID 1?

Any ideas or thoughts are welcome.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Configuration HDD & SSD & SSD Caching

Post by dolbyman »

For QuTS system installation on SSD is (apparently) advised anyways, SSD caching for media serving (sequential) are wasted money and can be skipped

I don't know how an if single or pooled single disks work on ZFS, but if you pool single disks on QTS and one disk bites the dust, you need to restore the whole pool from backups, as it will break,.. So unless you got lots of time for restoring .. better go with RAID
holger_kuehn
Easy as a breeze

Re: Configuration HDD & SSD & SSD Caching

Post by holger_kuehn »

I'd use the SSD for OS and apps. The Plex Media Library should profit from this. At least it does son on my QTS install. The rest is just RAID 5 or 6 an those HDD.

How many 14 or so TB HDDs are you using?
NAS (production): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
NAS (backup): TS-1635AX FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 2TB Samsung Evo 860 M.2-Sata
Data (QTier): [RAID-6] 4 x 4TB Samsung 870 QVO Sata
Data (HDD): [RAID-6] 7 x 18TB Exos
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)
UPS: CyberPower CP900EPFCLCD
BACKUP: 10x4TB WD Red using a USB 3.0 Dock
Usage: SMB with rclone (encrypted)

NAS: TS-873U-RP FW: QTS 5.1.4.2596 build 20231128
Data (SSD): [RAID-10] 4 x 1TB Samsung Evo 860 Sata
RAM: 8 GB (QNAP shipped)