SSD1 does not support SSD remaining life

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
VukDjordjevic
Getting the hang of things

SSD1 does not support SSD remaining life

Post by VukDjordjevic »

So after the latest firmware upgrade on my NAS (TS-877) yesterday I got a new Warning "[Hardware Status] SSD "Host: SSD 1" does not support SSD remaining life. Related features will not be available."

I am trying to understand if this is a software-related issue with the NAS or with the actual SSD. The SSD's Disk Smart information is green and Good. Also did the rapid test and it passes it without any issues nor it has any bad sectors.

The Total_LBA_Written on the SSD is 68986969024 which when inputted in any of the converters gives a total of 32TB written on the SSD.

This is the SSD (see link below) it has a TBW of 12.2PB which is far more than the 32TB written as Qnap declares in the SMART Information.

https://www.esus-it.com/product-eng-111 ... 00005.html

Did anyone receive this warning before? Also, can someone tell me for NVME SSD's what should I look for when checking the actually written terabytes? Nvme's give me Host Write Commands and Data Units Written and are the units expressed there in bytes, kilobytes or megabytes?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: SSD1 does not support SSD remaining life

Post by dolbyman »

Sounds like it could be a bug in the updated firmware..best to open a ticket
VukDjordjevic
Getting the hang of things

Post by VukDjordjevic »

Hi, thanks I actually just made a ticket about this. Spoke to a friend who has a similar NAS to mine (TS-1277) and he says he also had the same warning for a period of time and then his m2. caching ssd died.
I am actually not using this ssd for caching and it is not an m2 but rather a 2.5" sata ssd used as a data disk volume.

If I pull out this ssd from the Qnap NAS (while NAS is turned off) and install it in one of the computers. I just want to check the ssd with crystal disk and with hard disk sentinel, do you think I might have some problems when I put it back in the qnap (power it on) and potentially lose files?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If the NAS was off and no changes were done to the disk, it should be fine

Full external backups of all NAS data is always needed anyways
gregoinc
Know my way around

Post by gregoinc »

Same issue here... have logged a support ticket. Will see what QNAP support has to say, but I suspect I will need to find some cheap replacement SSD's.
nevolex
Starting out

Post by nevolex »

Same issue here, logged a support ticket too
iok
Starting out

Post by iok »

I have the same issue.
I am aware that my SSD does not support the remaining life feature, so I have disabled the new warning in the Storage & Snapshots general settings, but I'm still receiving an annoying notification every time I reboot the NAS. It seems that the bug is about the disabled notification.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KnysnaEduTrust
First post

Post by KnysnaEduTrust »

I also have the same issue. Host: M.2 SSD 1" does not support SSD remaining life. Can anyone tell me what it mean and what I should do as I'm not technical at all. Also happened after the last System upgrade.
Thanks so much.
nevolex
Starting out

Post by nevolex »

KnysnaEduTrust wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:21 pm I also have the same issue. Host: M.2 SSD 1" does not support SSD remaining life. Can anyone tell me what it mean and what I should do as I'm not technical at all. Also happened after the last System upgrade.
Thanks so much.
seems to be a bug, if you got this message in your logs that means, you ssd caching is basically no longer in use and cannot be reenabled, do log a ticket, the more people do it, the faster QNAP will release a fix
nxt213
First post

Post by nxt213 »

I started getting this message recently. After doing a bit of research I think it could be 1 of two things.

I think QNAP recently enabled additional reporting on drives using SMART. My drives are older and probably don't support this feature found on newer drives. So the error says some features may be disabled which probably means some of the reporting features that would show up under the drive health and maybe some other features will not work because my drives don't support SMART.

I guess if your drive does support SMART and you're getting this error, it could be that your drive is starting to fail. But in my case I don't think my drives support this.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”