Moving Disk from Raid 5 to a new bay

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
AntonioManuel
Getting the hang of things

Moving Disk from Raid 5 to a new bay

Post by AntonioManuel »

Hello, I have a QNAP TVS-672XT with RAID 5 and in the previous QNAP the drive bay 2 had an error and I change the disk to drive bay 4 with help.
Now after migrating the system to a new QNAP TVS-672XT I want to move the disk on drive 4 to the drive 2 again. How can I move the disk from drive bay 4 to drive bay 2. Can I just turn off the NAS and put the disk on drive 4 in drive 2 and turn on the NAS again without losing data.

I was thinking that since I have another disk on drive bay 5 as another storage pool, can I format it, hot plug it and also disk from drive bay 4 (included in raid 5 along drive bay 1 and 3) and put the empty disk in drive bay 2 to recover the Raid 5 again? Then how can I plug in the disk that used to belong to Raid 5 and put again in drive bay 4 without enter in conflict with the mounted RAID5 (drive bay 1,2,3) and format it.

I have the QTS 4.5.4.1723.

Thanks.
Thanks.

TVS-672XT
QTS 5.0.1.2145
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Moving Disk from Raid 5 to a new bay

Post by dolbyman »

For the first question:
You can move disks atound freely when the NAS is switched off.

If you are aftaid of dataloss, rethink your backup strategy

The second question I read several times, but still do not understand
AntonioManuel
Getting the hang of things

Post by AntonioManuel »

Thanks for the help.

The second question or part was a kind of work around solution if I couldn't freely move disks. I have Raid5 with the first 3 disks and a Raid0 with a single disk that is empty forming another storage pool. I was pointing to remove disk from Raid5 and substitute with the formatting Raid0 disk on drive bay 2 and after putting again the previous disk that used to belong to Raid5 and the point was If it enter in conflict because i became with a complete Raid 5 and another disk that was previous include in Raid 5 that I wanted to format and didn't have any other way to format it outside NAS.

I hope it clarifys the second question of part.

Thanks. I'm going to move disk from drive bay 4 to drive bay 2.

Any recommendation on the backup rethinking strategy?
Thanks.

TVS-672XT
QTS 5.0.1.2145
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

first of all .. do you have a backup?..a raid is not a backup...

if the answer is no: start making backups
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

i have RAID5, i don't have drive failures, but one of my hdd's is consistently warmer than the others by a few degrees.

with the NAS shut down, can i swap the hdd into a different bay, is there any rebuild involved afterward ?

2 disks are 8TB, 2 are 6TB. the arrangement is

bay1 disk1 8TB
bay2 disk2 8TB (warmer than disk1)
bay3 disk 3 6TB
bay4 disk4 6TB

i wanted to swap bays 1 and 2 to see if that makes some difference to disk temps. not sure if i can swap in any combination.

and yes, i have 2 external backups of the NAS ...
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

AntonioManuel wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:48 am Thanks for the help.

The second question or part was a kind of work around solution if I couldn't freely move disks. I have Raid5 with the first 3 disks and a Raid0 with a single disk that is empty forming another storage pool. I was pointing to remove disk from Raid5 and substitute with the formatting Raid0 disk on drive bay 2 and after putting again the previous disk that used to belong to Raid5 and the point was If it enter in conflict because i became with a complete Raid 5 and another disk that was previous include in Raid 5 that I wanted to format and didn't have any other way to format it outside NAS.

I hope it clarifys the second question of part.

Thanks. I'm going to move disk from drive bay 4 to drive bay 2.

Any recommendation on the backup rethinking strategy?
raid is not a backup
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _a_backup/

basically you need the same data you wish to backup and keep them on 2 separate different storage devices.

for people that don't have much data to backup, usually an external usb storage drive would be able to fit your backup data. but if not, the other option is getting another nas to be able to do a full backup (or just enuff to backup whatever u consider is a must).

Like he said, when the nas is powered off, you can reorder the drives. But i wouldn't do such things unless i had a backup ready just in case :'
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:00 pm ...
Like he said, when the nas is powered off, you can reorder the drives. But i wouldn't do such things unless i had a backup ready just in case :'
not sure if this was directed towards my post, just wanted to be absolutely certain before messing with the order of the drives in the bays - that in RAID5 there's no reconfiguration/rebuild or downtime after shuffling drives and turning the NAS back on.

even though i have backups, i'd rather avoid lengthy ops like raid scrubbing, or at worst restoring all the 8TB of content back onto the NAS in case this action causes a glitch.

thanks again for the help Moogle
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

cs7404 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:29 pm
Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:00 pm ...
not sure if this was directed towards my post, just wanted to be absolutely certain before messing with the order of the drives in the bays - that in RAID5 there's no reconfiguration/rebuild or downtime after shuffling drives and turning the NAS back on.

even though i have backups, i'd rather avoid lengthy ops like raid scrubbing, or at worst restoring all the 8TB of content back onto the NAS in case this action causes a glitch.

thanks again for the help Moogle
hi there,

i meant for the ts originally, because he seemed to be worried about losing data so i wondered if he was relying on the raid to be his backup in case anything happened. thats y i had to speak up just in case he didn't realize it's dangerous to solely rely on one single device :'

but generally most of the stuff i post is intended whoever simply didn't know ;} *drive by reading hehe, as long as it helped someone

Recently i also did something similar, but in my case i was replacing the drives. So i removed one drive live, it falls into degraded mode, then i put in the new drive and it rebuilds the raid (took like 7 hours to complete). i had to repeat this process to replace 3 drives, and i'd had to do it 1 drive at a time, and wait for each drive to rebuild the raid. but despite 3 times doing raid rebuild consequtively, the raid successfully rebuilt all 3 times, which was great. but if anything were to have happened.... i'd have my backups to rely on. so whenever i do these types of risky operations, i can confidently do it because i know i have a fall back in case the *** hits the fans so to speak :mrgreen:

are u not scheduling raid scrubs once a month? because you should. In linus's example, one of his nas systems was misconfigured, as in he did not set raid scrubbing, and the consequences of that, a bunch of errors accumulated over time and it just destroyed the raid and data, because of bit rot over time :S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npu7jkJk5nM

during a raid scrub the nas can still be used, albeit performance will be slow until it finishes. i set it once a month, and to do it during off time hours like in the middle of the night, and it takes about 7 hours to complete, so basically by the time i wake up, it's done. but then again i only manage 4 x 4tb raid5, which is a different situation for bigger capacity users who would obviously take longer to complete for the same operations i do.

i've done a bunch of backups and restore jobs over time, and i usually do a spot check of random files just to be sure everythings ok and everything seems to have checked out. if u are worried about data corruption, then u definitely need to make sure u have raid scrub scheduled once a month :) zfs is also the next level to ensure data from corrupting because it auto repairs when it detects the data turned bad, but you'd need quts hero for that feature.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

hey its all good, the explanation and your take are all valuable bits to take in.
my ts is barely a month old now but i did get around to a few scrubs already. most recently yesterday.
i also do filesystem checks on it to make sure it comes back green on the volume. having switched to this nas recently, it was also a good opportunity to do some housecleaning on files that have been piling up over time, so the tips are something i will follow because some of my accumulated data containing small files tend to bog down the folders theyr stored in, being cad data files and the like there are many format files i have that the nas doesnt understand what type of content it’s looking at.

concerning logs and notifications though, not too impressed because following a completion of an fs check or scrub, i expected some results/details to show up. only thing i have to rely on is the green check mark next to the volume and the status ‘ready’. i guess if there were an error it would cough back at me to let me know.

scheduling everything in qts is becoming complicated !
there aren’t friendly options like biweekly, quarterly, or specifying portions of a week to schedule a job. for scrubs i have to pick a date on each month, but i’d rather do them exactly in the middle of the week every 2 weeks which there’s no option, i don’t think.
i setup my most critical jobs backup and sync to occur staggered from each other on weekends, which gives me a picture of time slots for other maintenance jobs and some routine in place so that i isolate it from use during those times of the week and when i send files to it from other lan devices.
i’ll explore the schedule options some more to see what digests well for all that.
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491
cs7404
Know my way around

Post by cs7404 »

about my drive bay swap question, i assume the nas would locate each disk after a shuffle (done in the powered off state of course). then i suppose i’d be ok with doing a scrub following the operation ?

trying to work this into the device’s schedule so as not to interfere with everything else.
----------
TS-453D
QTS 5.1.1.2491

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”