Unable to utilize unallocated space after disk upgrade

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
atabascael
New here

Unable to utilize unallocated space after disk upgrade

Post by atabascael »

Disclaimer:
I have searched this forum for a solution to this, but have not found any. There are people with seemingly similar issues (e.g. viewtopic.php?t=147000), but the root cause seems different.

The situation:
I have replaced 4x 3 TB hdds in my TS-431P with 4x 4 TB hdds when the old ones started throwing SMART warnings.
I did that by going to the "Manage" in the Storage Pool Settings, then "Replace Disks One by One".
After that was done, I went to the "Replace Disks One by One" menu once more and clicked "Expand Capacity", which seemed to work (it threw no errors, and now the "Expand Capacity" button is greyed out).
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 14.57.00.png
When I go to my Storage Pool overview now, it shows 1.8 TB Unutilized:
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 14.56.49.png
The Problem:
When I try to expand the ThickVolume, I am unable to do so and it says that I am already at the maximum size.
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 14.58.02.png
This is the arrangement of the Pool and Volume:
Screenshot 2021-07-19 at 14.57.12.png
Does anyone here know why it could be that I cannot increase the size of my Thick Volume despite there being unutilized space?

Thanks a lot!

Edit:
I had messed up with the attachments on my first try. Hope I didn't throw anyone off by editing and fixing that. I also dropped unnecessary details out of the title after reading it another time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Unable to utilize unallocated space after disk upgrade from 4x 3TB to 4x 4TB

Post by dolbyman »

Do you have any minimum snapshot space set ?

otherwise you should be able to grow the volume into the empty pool space
atabascael
New here

Re: Unable to utilize unallocated space after disk upgrade

Post by atabascael »

I do - 20% is allocated for guaranteed snapshot space. However 20% of 7.2 TB is only 1.45 TB (as you can see in the 2nd screenshot). This would mean that I should be able to allocate roughly 5.76 TB to the volume. Yet I can only allocate up to 3.77 TB (see the 3rd screenshot).

The whole allocation of the volume is visible in the 2nd screenshot. For some reason there is some space marked as "unallocated" and some as "unutilized". Do I have to do something in order to "allocate" space and make it available?
atabascael
New here

Post by atabascael »

P.S.: I have already tried creating a second volume - however that is also not possible. The NAS says there is not enough space. Which makes no sense to me as there is clearly almost 2TB of unallocated and unutilized space.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I would open a ticket with qnap then .. something might have not worked right when you did the pool expansion
atabascael
New here

Post by atabascael »

Thanks. I will do that and post here in case I learn something from it that might be useful for others.

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”