Disk uninitialized

Questions about SNMP, Power, System, Logs, disk, & RAID.
Munkemand
New here

Disk uninitialized

Post by Munkemand »

Hello

Today I lost access to the 4 TB disk I have in my qnapnas ts-212. Through the GUI I could see that the disk was "uninitialized", I logged onto cli and could to my relief still browse the disk and my data. I googled, and found a post about using a tool called "qck", that you ran on the NAS and this should fix a potentially corrupted conf, that kept the disk from being initialized.

viewtopic.php?t=142708

Following the steps did not help, on the contrary now I can't even browse my files through the cli.

So, do anyone know what to do, or at least know of a program that let's me browse the disk through windows, afterI've pulled the disk from the NAS, so I can get to my data?

Thank you in advance.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Disk uninitialized

Post by dolbyman »

TS-212 uses plain EXT file system, read that disk in any linux system or windows with an ext reader e.g. https://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

That only works on these decade old systems like yours, a modern system is not that easy to read

If you ever get your data back start making backups ... a raid (even even less so single disks .. what was the plan here?) is not a backup!
Munkemand
New here

Post by Munkemand »

Hello
Thank you for your response.
I did a bit more troubleshooting, and it turned out that by running a file systems check, I could again access my data over NFS, as usual. However, the NAS refused http access, and didn't execute reboot or poweroff command over CLI. Using power_management though, would power it off.
With the Linux reader I'm able to pull my data from disk, so all is good there. There's nothing critical on it, the NAS was just doing backup of home PC's and acting as a multimedia center, however there's a lot of ripped dvd's on it I would prefer not having to rip again.
Guess the NAS is done. I'll have to hunt for a new one, where you in case of an emergency can pull the data directly off the drive.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I don't think any of the current NAS of any vendor are easy to read

They all format the disks in a special ways for "features"(Storage pools, SHR,etc) and storage of the OS

Return to “System & Disk Volume Management”